Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any windows programmers here ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any windows programmers here ?
    Posted: 04 December 2018 at 11:22pm
.... with knowledge of "device-level" software internals ?

Vague idea I've had is :-

Windows machine with 2 hardware audio devices e.g. 1 native onboard + 1 USB audio device.
Would it (potentially) be possible to route the o/p of a program (e.g. audio player, DJ s/w etc.) to the 2 devices simultaneously - and then have a (separate)  s/w EQ of some kind applied to each of these 2 hardware outputs ?

Idea would be to achieve something akin to a 2-way crossover internally in the PC.

TIA
REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2018 at 12:13am
It would be considerably easier to use a single soundcard/device with sufficient outputs for the task rather than trying to get windows drivers to address multiple devices.  Most consumer-grade software probably couldn't cope either, multi-device addressing is a pro-level feature.

Bumringer u-phoria for eighty quid would give you four outputs, but that's halfway to a secondhand ultradrive or a real LMS...
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2018 at 12:49am
Originally posted by I-shen Soundboy I-shen Soundboy wrote:

It would be considerably easier to use a single soundcard/device with sufficient outputs for the task rather than trying to get windows drivers to address multiple devices.  Most consumer-grade software probably couldn't cope either, multi-device addressing is a pro-level feature.

Bumringer u-phoria for eighty quid would give you four outputs, but that's halfway to a secondhand ultradrive or a real LMS...

Yeah I get (in broad terms) what you're saying, but the context is :-

Battery powered portable sound system (where everything is pretty crude/approximate) and where a DCX or similar (or analogue Xover) is way too bulky, too much wiring, and getting power to it is a right faff. There are "hi-fi type" electronic (analogue) Xovers available as bare PCBs, but being driven by op-amps they need dual rail PSU which is a bit of a pain to derive from batteries ... and would still need the wiring, casing, connectors etc.

If it were possible to "do something crude in s/w" it could be dead handy - even if it were no more than dead simple 12db/oct type of thing. The other route is mini-DSP I guess - which quite a few folk in here have used/pursued, and some have found to be a bit problematic. Seem over-priced too.

In my own case, the laptop is a oldish netbook with Intel Atom 1.6GHz single core CPU running winXP - so might be light on CPU anyway ..... just musing on the possibilty really. I don't have enough knowledge on the s/w architecture of windows (or any other OS).

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2018 at 1:06am
Originally posted by I-shen Soundboy I-shen Soundboy wrote:

Most consumer-grade software probably couldn't cope either, multi-device addressing is a pro-level feature.

ReWuschel, Jack but never made them work. You can physically route outputs to inputs.
In theory that would be option to rerouting music program to crossover program. Crossover program like Cubase/Reason/FL you can run on Asio and gain access to many audio devices simultaneously. 
I appreciate every like :)) https//www.facebook.com/genomesoundsystems
Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/gen-ome/
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2018 at 8:28am
Running the 2 laptops separately connected via wifi or ethernet and syncing using Traktor link would get you quite a long way but both would then need to have an output. We ran 2 synced laptops one with a controller and one with digital vinyl for a laff at a midweek techno and bucket of chicken session (lol). Fun setup.

The standard setup just puts a mixer inbetween the outputs but both computers always need 2 output devices as monitoring can't work properly unless there's a main out and a monitor out for each.
Don't test the champignon sound
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2018 at 12:10pm
A simple active x-over can be made very small an only needs a few extra components to make it work single rail, Below is a single rail 100hz active x-over that can be made slightly larger than a postage stamp, it will work on any voltage from about 9 volts to 30volts. the TL072 is not the best
choice for single rail but will work.

Edited by APW - 05 December 2018 at 12:19pm
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2018 at 12:21pm
Foobar has got crossovers , multiple outputs ,mono summing options and asio support.
I think also a line in option, so maybe could be hacked at your needs...
Free, worth a shot, light on cpu.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2018 at 4:46pm
As said just build an active low level analog xover, deriving a dual rail supply from a single can be as simple as 2 capacitors, 2 resistors, one op amp, and a series cap to DC block the input signal such that only AC passes to your new virtual earth. Not too much drama
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2018 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by slaz slaz wrote:

Battery powered portable sound system
OldSkool car crossover, preferably an Alpine, every time.
(Unless you're using modern car amps with crossovers, but same thing).

slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2018 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by APW APW wrote:

A simple active x-over can be made very small an only needs a few extra components to make it work single rail, Below is a single rail 100hz active x-over that can be made slightly larger than a postage stamp, it will work on any voltage from about 9 volts to 30volts. the TL072 is not the best
choice for single rail but will work.

Hmm ... OK - thanks for that - might just about be do-able on veroboard ? Mate over the road might be up for tinkering that together. As it happens, 100Hz is about right for what I have in mind.

Are the virtual-earth things any more prone to ground-loop hassles than other things ?
If there are things like switch-on thumps I can work around it OK.

Edited by slaz - 07 December 2018 at 5:18pm
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2018 at 5:21pm
OK guys - thanks for replies ... bit slow off the mark responding cos I've spent way too much time in doctors, hospitals recently :-/

gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2018 at 12:32pm
Never tested.

Edited by gen0me - 25 December 2018 at 12:33pm
I appreciate every like :)) https//www.facebook.com/genomesoundsystems
Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/gen-ome/
 Post Reply Post Reply