Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cables

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2018 at 6:49pm
i agree entirely that soldering is definitely the way forward  - however we switched from the FC and FX connectors to the STX metal connectors 2 years ago on our entire stock due to a high rate of the locking tabs coming adrift and getting lost / broken  - switching to the STX connectors has eliminated this issue, without a single failure in the last 2 years, and off course they are designed for solder termination from the ground up, so easier to terminate ( with an iron with plenty of thermal capacity as noted above)
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2018 at 11:05pm
hmm. I've been using bootlace ferrules and not had a problem but my kit doesn't go out as much as some, I'll look at the solider ones next time!
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2018 at 12:11am
i dunno.. i've got many speakon leads.. all types of connectors, all screwed in, most of them about 10 years old.. 4mm and 2.5mm.... it's very rare that i've had a problem with them. i've never felt the need to solder them in.
Boxes-R-Blue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxes-R-Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2018 at 1:02am
The only excuse for not soldering as a standard is "maintenance" in fact very word cause and effect transverse!

You screw onsite when stuff goes poo and solder when you mean it!

James Tengo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2018 at 6:43am
You are Sean Shagnasty and I claim my five pounds.
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2018 at 8:18pm
I was just thinking the same, can I claim 2nd prize?
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2018 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by James Tengo James Tengo wrote:

You are Sean Shagnasty and I claim my five pounds.

MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2018 at 10:49am
Shaggers! He's Back!! There goes the Forum...

I think the crimp ferrules are a joy to use, picked up a wonderful hex crimper tool (6mm to 0.25mm) for about £20, and a selection pack of insulated ferrules for equally peanuts.

There will always be one event where you have to pass the cable through a small hole, so the ability to easily remove connector is a must for me. Ferrules make reconnection really nice.
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
haymere View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haymere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2018 at 11:02am
My mrs wasn’t feeling great the other night so while she slept on the sofa I soldered up some Socapex to NL4 panels at the dining room table
Father-Francis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2018 at 11:43am
Originally posted by haymere haymere wrote:

My mrs wasn’t feeling great the other night so while she slept on the sofa I soldered up some Socapex to NL4 panels at the dining room table
Where did you buy your socapex at what price we looking to buy 100+ meters 
Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk
haymere View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haymere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2018 at 11:48am
It was actually a breakout panels

But try Eland or Cleveland, they both will do 100m at reasonable cost, think I used Eland last time

Or 

Edited by haymere - 26 December 2018 at 11:48am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12