Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Speaker Management

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JBK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2020 at 3:33pm
It depends on the compressor, it's all about the time factor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression#Peak_vs_RMS_sensing

peak compressor will activate instantly if the voltage gets above a certain threshold.
So yes continuous peak limiting = clipping = distortion and may lead to higher RMS value.

RMS compressor will compute RMS value over a period of time, and will lower the signal for a certain period of time if the computed value exceeds the threshold.

pseudo-RMS can be achieved with peak detection + long time constants (ie attack set  to the min, and release set to the max) but that's not an optimal method
Fracture_clinic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fracture_clinic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2020 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by JBK JBK wrote:

It depends on the compressor, it's all about the time factor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression#Peak_vs_RMS_sensing

peak compressor will activate instantly if the voltage gets above a certain threshold.
So yes continuous peak limiting = clipping = distortion and may lead to higher RMS value.

RMS compressor will compute RMS value over a period of time, and will lower the signal for a certain period of time if the computed value exceeds the threshold.

pseudo-RMS can be achieved with peak detection + long time constants (ie attack set  to the min, and release set to the max) but that's not an optimal method
<div id="gtx-trans" style=": ; left: 387px; top: 195px;"><div ="gtx-trans-icon">

Ah nice one JBK, I'll do some more reading too. We often use the xca so I guess I should learn more about that compressor too.
Sim=bient View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sim=bient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2020 at 11:42am
Yea the 208 looks like a very interesting proposition to me, can't afford to spend £500 + the time to measure my mf/hf tops phase & magnitude In an anechoic chamber, in order to build the correct FIR filter, but that's what I'd like to do.

To much money to spend on a crossover that could suffer from poor quality components, just don't trust T-Racks stuff, the bits I have used have been a little better and more reliable than older berry (we all know is terrible, some get 3 yrs outta a DCX, many get 4 months before a solder joint or budget component fails) , but the jury's out on new T-racks until others have used and tested these new LMS products.

I'm sticking with an XCA for now, better adda than the 4 series XTA, we tested it at dBs plym uni, obviously the 5 series is still the bees knees, but tbf I'd rather aim towards an armonia setup 

Edited by Sim=bient - 25 February 2020 at 11:49am
callumtruds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote callumtruds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2020 at 12:43pm
I use Xilica xp4080, got it second hand for below your given budget,
Never given me trouble, very powerful processing unit. 
Control software is nice on laptop 
but the screen on the unit is very basic so wouldn't want to be building presets on it. 

Used to have a dcx, for the price their great, but I would never go back after owning the xilica

Db Mark processors have been around quite awhile now and only heard/read good things, nice to have a warranty too. 
Sim=bient View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sim=bient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2020 at 1:57pm

Edited by Sim=bient - 25 February 2020 at 7:08pm
"Music is everything, god himself is nothing more than an acoustic hallucination" Emil Cioran
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12