Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kick Bin Design Idea B&C 15ndl76

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BP1Fanatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2020 at 6:09pm
Excellent work!
luthier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luthier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2020 at 6:53pm
Update:

So last week I rough cut a couple of sheets of 18mm birch to put on the CNC (for all the panels with rebates and compound angles) so I could make two revised cabinets. Unfortunately the Coronavirus outbreak has massively slowed progress on the cab. The CNC I was planning on using is now out of action due to the whole building being on lockdown with my material stuck inside.

On the plus side I have reduced the height of the cab by 36mm, making it a nice round 1m. Also I revised the driver baffle to allow for easier fitting of the back panel. The driver is now offset by about 5mm more, if memory serves me right. Finally I drew up some more internal bracing with the lessons learned from the prototype.

What I really want to decide now is if I can use aluminium for the main brace in the horn mouth for the kick section? 

It's playing up near 350hz at the moment so I'm definitely concerned about it having any negative impact?

I should add I'm not trying to copy Void Acoustics with the crazy - and very pretty - angled braces but I would like to do something more interesting than just a bit of 18mm birch. 

Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2020 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by luthier luthier wrote:

What I really want to decide now is if I can use aluminium for the main brace in the horn mouth for the kick section? 

It's playing up near 350hz at the moment so I'm definitely concerned about it having any negative impact?

I should add I'm not trying to copy Void Acoustics with the crazy - and very pretty - angled braces but I would like to do something more interesting than just a bit of 18mm birch. 

Interesting is usually coined as aesthetics from a design standpoint. You need to look at things from a logical standpoint. Aluminum resonates faster than wood and, can be quite a challenge once you achieve the metal's resonant frequency while offering a lot of sound pressure level.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 25 March 2020 at 9:48pm
Elliot Thompson
luthier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luthier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2020 at 10:16pm
Guilty as charged, there certainly is an aesthetic element to metal bracing. 

The resonance is indeed the concern with aluminum. In terms of it not being logical, it certainly would be a functional brace. But, perhaps just an unessecary step. I suppose I'm more intrested as a theoretical idea, to see if an aluminium brace could be applicable or even preferential in this scenario. 

I wonder if anyone has any experience calculating resonance in a brace in this scenario? I'd imagine it would be done in COMSOL/matlab or another multiphysics engine.
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2020 at 3:12pm

Contractors that focus on a lot of metal instillation should be able to determine the resonance frequency of Aluminium based on the density of the material in addition to the length of the rod that is coming into play. When your quest is using materials that differ from the majority, you need to gather information from designers that use such materials on a day by day basis.

Nest Regards,

Elliot Thompson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011