Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Smoke Machine Repair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2019 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

...for this, and anything else your unsure of, I would get a tech to repair it and sign it off for insurance purposes. I'm confident when I can source parts and make the correct repair and have at minimum it pass PAT. But if you you are EVER unsure, get it don't by somebody qualified so that you are inline with you liability insurance and any other paper work that you COULD fall foul of by "bodging" or "hacking" away at and it be the downfall of your company. 

Don't play games with your life or anybody else's. And insurance companies don't pay out on stupidity.

Quite right, I'll be honest, it doesn't sit right with me fitting a non original heater block but was just wondering if anyone had done it with any success. Looks like the dead smoke machine can go in the spares pile then. Smile
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2019 at 5:32pm
When blocks melt, you end up with a puddle of molten aluminium to contend with.

Aluminium is surprisingly "reactive", look what it does when powdered, mixed with "rust" and ignited with a magnesium ribbon for a fuse - called Thermite.

Used for "welding" train rails together in situ, when you haven't got a huge power supply for mig/stick/etc...

If the generic replacement block comes with a thermal trip in location, then it should trip before it melts. If you are placing thermal trip to generic block afterwards, you would need to test it to destruction to be sure...mewh.

Edited by MattStolton - 21 January 2019 at 5:33pm
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
Danielr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danielr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2019 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by MattStolton MattStolton wrote:

When blocks melt, you end up with a puddle of molten aluminium to contend with.

Aluminium is surprisingly "reactive", look what it does when powdered, mixed with "rust" and ignited with a magnesium ribbon for a fuse - called Thermite.

Used for "welding" train rails together in situ, when you haven't got a huge power supply for mig/stick/etc...

If the generic replacement block comes with a thermal trip in location, then it should trip before it melts. If you are placing thermal trip to generic block afterwards, you would need to test it to destruction to be sure...mewh.
I think you're being a little alarmist regarding the dangers of aluminium.

Why do you think you're need to test a thermal trip to destruction?! 
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2019 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by njw njw wrote:

if I was to stick one of those in the machine and refit the thermal switch in the same position on the generic block as it was on the original heater block would I burn a venue to the ground or would it work....?

I would be more concerned about the harmful effects of over heating glycols.
They become highly carcinogenic if over heated, long before you'll melt or burn anything down.
Its why cheap vapes can be potentially so harmful, if they haven't got adequate heat control.

We had a long discussion on photonlexicon about home made fluids and machines and some startling data was shared in terms of risk and temperature.

My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123