Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

hifi column bass speaker

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

@Pasi, what software would you recommend for producing plots like those? I've always used Hornresp and Akabak to design my other projects but they aren't going to be much help on this one.

That’s just side view of EASE Focus with a generic source. It’s free, but it doesn’t do boundaries. You won’t get much of anything that does boundaries for sub-100Hz I’m afraid.

when I get Akabak working I am going to try modelling it as four ducts and two drivers. should be able to put a boundary in and change the driver orientations/location and listening position - though I find it a bit confusing without a visual sanity check. do you think akabak will do the boundary properly?
FrederikMA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrederikMA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 3:30pm
I dont see any kind of usefull directivity in those simulations. Without any boundaries, the little cancellation/lobing indicate absolutely nothing about real bahaviour. 

1.5 meters of relative delay is quite insignificant at those wavelengths. Even a dipole, which has 180 degrees of delay duo to the opposite polarity, acts like a monopoly at those wavelengths, since they virtually in-phase. 

If you separate the rear chamber and invert the polarity of one driver, you have yourself a something like a simple cardioid to play with. 

Directivity below 100 hz is a non-issue really. In the modal region (approx below Schroeder fs), our hearing can only detect steady-state, that is we can only analyse a signal after multiple wave cycles, and at that point the signal has reflected so many times, that it is basicly just bass-soup. 

In fact, monopoles and the many modes they excite are quite desirable in achieving flat bassresponse.

Above the modal region it is a different game entirely, and cardioid can be quite useful.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by FrederikMA FrederikMA wrote:

I dont see any kind of usefull directivity in those simulations. Without any boundaries, the little cancellation/lobing indicate absolutely nothing about real bahaviour. 

1.5 meters of relative delay is quite insignificant at those wavelengths. Even a dipole, which has 180 degrees of delay duo to the opposite polarity, acts like a monopoly at those wavelengths, since they virtually in-phase. 

If you separate the rear chamber and invert the polarity of one driver, you have yourself a something like a simple cardioid to play with. 

Directivity below 100 hz is a non-issue really. In the modal region (approx below Schroeder fs), our hearing can only detect steady-state, that is we can only analyse a signal after multiple wave cycles, and at that point the signal has reflected so many times, that it is basicly just bass-soup. 

In fact, monopoles and the many modes they excite are quite desirable in achieving flat bassresponse.

Above the modal region it is a different game entirely, and cardioid can be quite useful.

if you are always stood in the main horizontal lobe then the directivity is significant.

1.5 metres is significant. it's half a wavelenth at 110Hz

for a cardoid to be useful I would have to point the tube horizontally rather than vertically which isn't going to fit in my living room.

things do become problematic below the Schroeder frequency but that doesn't mean that nothing at all can be done.

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/rooms.htm

I don't hope to achieve the 4.8dB that a dipole manages but I do hope to get significantly more peak output using much more efficient and cheaper drivers.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrederikMA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 3:51pm
The opposing driver bipole, in a pipe is one of the best layouts for home subwoofer though:
- Good (high) damping of box resonance
- Very low cabinet wall vibration
- Force-cancelation (mechanical symmetry)
- Cheap and fast to build
- The offset drivers, are less localizable, since many distortion artefacts are directional (concentrated on-axis), duo to the high orders/frequencies.

You can finds lots of these builds on he Diyaudio forum..

Edited by FrederikMA - 17 January 2019 at 3:52pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrederikMA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 4:03pm
"if you are always stood in the main horizontal lobe then the directivity is significant."

With bounderies and your ears integration/processing time, there is no such thing as lobes at those frequencies.
"1.5 metres is significant. it's half a wavelenth at 110Hz"

It is also likely to be more than the distance to any nearby boundery, thus making any anachoic situation a purely academic matter.

"for a cardoid to be useful I would have to point the tube horizontally rather than vertically which isn't going to fit in my living room"

My bad, this was inaccurate. I used the word "cardioid" duo to its more commonly known understanding as an intentionally directional source.

"things do become problematic below the Schroeder frequency but that doesn't mean that nothing at all can be done."

I agree, but to me, directivity, in the traditional sence, is not the solution to those problems. Modal smoothing by the use of multiple sources is.

EDIT: quotation failed, so put in quotation marks

Edited by FrederikMA - 17 January 2019 at 4:06pm
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by FrederikMA FrederikMA wrote:

You can finds lots of these builds on he Diyaudio forum..

I've seen lots of opposing driver designs but not on a long pipe like this. can't find anything on diyaudio with google. If you can link me to this being done before I would be hugely grateful.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FrederikMA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 5:01pm
No not on a LONG pipe, and not for the purpose of directivity. for the other reasons mentioned in my earlier post. search "diyaudio + sonotube".
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

Originally posted by sgarfa sgarfa wrote:

i run akabak in VMlite xp mode ..on win10 without problems

thanks, will try that. I tried using Oracle VM VirtualBox and got an error message "Raw-mode is unavailable courtesy of Hyper-V. (VERR_SUPDRV_NO_RAW_MODE_HYPER_V_ROOT)."

tried using VMlite but when I start the XP VM it immediately crashes to bluescreen and automatic restart. CryCryCry tried it on my laptop and it does the same. using VHD file extracted from the windows7 XP mode download. I've bought an XP iso and key from ebay - can I convert the iso to a vhd file?

Edited by snowflake - 17 January 2019 at 9:57pm
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2019 at 10:47pm
Def_Const
{
tubelen = 2;
floor = 25e-2;
L23 = 5e-2;
L78 = 15e-2;
diff = 15e-2;
dia = 29.5e-2;
L45 = ((tubelen-L23-L78)/2)+diff;
L56 = ((tubelen-L23-L78)/2)-diff;
section = 3.1412*dia*dia/4;
top = tubelen+floor;
}

|              0-Voltage-1                                  1
|                        |                    |
|RadiatorA-2-ChamberB-3-DriverC-4-ChamberD-11  12-ChamberE-6-DriverF-7-ChamberG-8-RadiatorH

Def_Driver 'Driver'

Sd=380.00cm2
  Bl=17.00Tm
  Cms=2.41E-04m/N
  Rms=2.10Ns/m
  fs=45.00Hz  |Mmd = 47.64g not recognised by AkAbak, fs calculated and used instead
  Le=0.60mH
  Re=6.20ohm
  ExpoLe=1

Def_Reflector    Wall=0.1cm
Hangle=0 Vangle=-90
absorbcoeff=0.1

Def_Listeningpoint
    x=0m y=1.3m z=6m

System 'System'

Driver Def='Driver''Driver top'
    Node=1=0=3=4
  Driver Def='Driver''Driver bot'
    Node=1=0=7=6

Duct 'Rear chamber D'
    Node=4=11
    SD={section}
    Len={L45}
    Visc=0
    QD/fo=0.1

Duct 'Rear chamber E'
    Node=6=12
    SD={section}
    Len={L56}
    Visc=0
    QD/fo=0.1

Duct 'Horn segment B'
    Node=3=2
    SD={section}
    Len={L23}
    Visc=0

Duct 'Horn segment G'
    Node=7=8
    SD={section}
    Len={L78}
    Visc=0

Radiator 'Horn mouth A top'
    Node=2
    SD={section}
    x=0
    y={top}
    z=0
    Vangle=90
    Reflection dEdge=30cm

Radiator 'Horn mouth H bot'
    Node=8
    SD={section}
    x=0
    y={floor}
    z=0
    Vangle=-90
    Reflection dEdge=30cm
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2019 at 10:50pm
something isn't right in my code because at different horizontal listening angles it shows different response. it shoudl be totally symetrical in the horizontal plane.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12