Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cabinet bracing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgloyalty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cabinet bracing
    Posted: 11 January 2019 at 6:23pm
I haven't built a "bookshelf" speaker this size before and I'm not sure how much bracing to put in. I have two options below, but one may be too much and the other too little, I'm not sure which is best. The cabinet is 10"w, 15 3/4"d, 17"h with 3/4" MDF (~1cu.ft. depending on bracing). My other cabinets were small enough, one piece in the middle was fine. I can also move things around as far as the vent, if needed. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. 

The photo link worked in preview but not after posting. This link may work, if not.. I guess I have no picture. 
https://photos.app.goo.gl/bP8hnXU3GbuuRF88A

http://imageshack.com/a/img924/8071/bPF7VB.jpg -

Edited by bgloyalty - 11 January 2019 at 6:26pm
BP1Fanatic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BP1Fanatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2019 at 9:47pm
The 1st enclosure and add a brace for the top & bottom panels.

I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2019 at 11:10pm
Bracing cabinets for resonance damping usually entails bracing near the centre of the panels.  Bracing at the edges of the panels only reinforces structural integity, does very little for resonances. 

Given the two examples, the first would be my choice as it braces four panels near their centres.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2019 at 11:56pm
brace 40-45% of the way across panels. connect sides to opposite sides. support the far end of that vent.
bgloyalty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgloyalty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2019 at 11:31pm
Thanks for the advice. I've gone with the first (nearest) option and have added a vertical brace connecting the top and bottom panels like the horizontal brace forming a cross in the middle. I didn't size the vent correctly for this image and it is only 6 inches flare to flare, but I will consider support for it in the plans.  
 Post Reply Post Reply