Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

marquee sound system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2019 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by hairyplumber hairyplumber wrote:

Hi again all, just wanted to say thanks for all your replies, I've only just got home from work, so haven't read them all properly yet, but there's a few asking how I'm driving the peaveys.
I guess this is where any credibility I might have had, hits the floor!Cry
from my mixer (citronic cdm8) the output splits to full range tops (hysis4's) that are powered by a Warrior IS-1000 (1k max@4ohms) It then is run through a Behringer super X pro active crossover, and I'm only using the sub output set at 40Hz.
The 215's are then powered by a Behringer Europower 4000 (4k@2ohms/2k@4ohms) 
so potentially, a 3k setup...
I run it at about 1/2 power, so no distortion or popping and farting, and it really fills the area 
(ok, the neighborhoodLOL) with a comfortable sound... i always stack them tall so the horns are above everyones head, and it does always sound good, but I can't say that you really feel the bass, but i guess the 215's are pretty much 2x 15" black widows in a plain rectangular box?
as I said though, its more about the sheer size of these beasties that is my biggest problem, (alongside that my amps are cheap poo) and if I can buy or attempt to build something small and powerful, that would be great.
Gonna have a good read now, 
cheers.Mark

If I've understood that correctly then you're running your bass bins up to 40hz? If that's the case then I'm not surprised you can't feel the bass as down that low those Peavey bass bins probably aren't doing anything. Personally, I'd be high passing them at 40hz (although this isn't doable on the super x pro, the hpf on that is 25hz) and running them to about 120hz. Smile  

And saying that, the Hi-Sys 4's are capable of thumping it out on there own without bass bins, if you've a lack of bass with eight 15's in a marquee then you may have phase/polarity issues.

Edited by njw - 16 January 2019 at 6:41pm
Xoc1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xoc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2019 at 8:33pm
I would definitely look into running your mid tops  from the crossover outputs.
Until you do this you will not really know what your system is capable of.
From the way you have described your current set up you are not running the system optimally.
It you went for the different speaker designs discussed, you would definitely need to run them from the crossover outputs, and probably need a digital crossover to get them set up properly.

JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2019 at 11:23pm
there's a pair of the tops i currently use on the fb rig resale. Proel next 12hp4 if they were the 8 ohm version i would have bought them and made 2x12 cabinets! 

£125 the pair. You can't even buy the drivers to make a single 2x8  plus 1" cd fane loaded cab for that,  let alone the ply, handles, grilles, feet, t nuts, paint, screws etc

Doesnt get any cheaper for something with decent b&c drivers in. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123