Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Eq settings for fake ”bass knob”

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eq settings for fake ”bass knob”
    Posted: 17 January 2019 at 4:31pm
Question 1:

Can someone tell me what is the common ”settings” for the bass control on a standard dj mixer.

I have driverack 260 for my system standard configuration with top and subs.

I want to make a eq setting in my driverack that replaces the bass knob on a dj mixer.

What kind of eq settings would this need in driverack 260?

For example how wide would this eq need to be?

I also have alternative to produce this ”bass knob” in my Allen heath Qu-pac eq.

——————————————————

Question 2:

I want more sub output on my 2 way setup what is best to do? 

Gain sub outputs on driverack 260?

Gain sub amplifier?

Lower gain for high/mid on driverack 260?

Lower gain on high/mid amplifier?

Put in a master eq?

Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 6:23pm
question 1 - usually a low shelf that affects frequencies under 80/100 hz, sometimes higher, depends form mixer to mixer. (member you should have an hi pass on the subs…)

question 2: if your system is already time alligned you should use an eq, changing relative levels between bands would shift crossover point and probably worsen alignment.
if you know how to set crossovers and delays you could use gains on driverack to gain more bass, but again remember this will shift the crossover point if left the same. wether to rise sub level or lower mains depends on your actual gain staging - google gain staging if you don't know about it, one of the first things to understand to deploy a sound.
serioussound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 8:25pm
Ok and what kind of settings is for the ”high” knob on a dj mixer?
Racks&Stacks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racks&Stacks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 9:40pm
http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=45205

Pioneer 600

• Low Frequency
    -26 ~ +6 dB @ 100Hz
  • Mid frequency
    -26 ~ +6 dB @ 1kHz
  • high Frequency
    -26 ~ +6 dB @ 10kHz

Pioneer 800 - 2000

• Low Frequency
    -26 ~ +6 dB @ 70Hz
  • Mid frequency
    -26 ~ +6 dB @ 1kHz
  • high Frequency
    -26 ~ +6 dB @ 13kHz

Allen & Heath XONE 92

• Lo shelving @ 250Hz
  • Mid1 Bell @ 350Hz
  • Mid2 Bell @ 2KHz
  • Hi Shelving @ 2.5Khz

Allen & Heath XONE 42
  • Low: 420hz and down
  • Mid: Center point at 1200hz
  • High: 2700hz and up
godathunder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godathunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2019 at 9:50am
Originally posted by Jo bg Jo bg wrote:

question 2: if your system is already time alligned you should use an eq, changing relative levels between bands would shift crossover point and probably worsen alignment.

altering the eq will introduce phase shift that may impact on allignment anyway
LOUDER THAN LOUD
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2019 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by godathunder godathunder wrote:

Originally posted by Jo bg Jo bg wrote:

altering the eq will introduce phase shift that may impact on allignment anyway

Not if you do it on the input side, where it affects all output bands equally
godathunder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godathunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2019 at 10:30pm
that makes sense in integrating xover bands but I was under the impression that any eq adjustment on the input side would have resonant effects on any harmonic of that frequency and it was better to eq each passband seperately to help minimise this

is this a delusion of mine? 
LOUDER THAN LOUD
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2019 at 4:11am
You use the output EQ to make the box ‘flat’ (for a given value of flat) and do alignment between passbands, possibly including but not limited to delay, polarity, in band and out of band EQ, Allpass filters, highpass or lowpass filters of various type and slope, and FIR. This is called ‘tuning’ and it is very different to ‘toning’. You’re after a verifiable, predictable, repeatable response here, ideally one that holds up offaxis and at distance too.

Once that is done, and you know a system is integrated as a whole, all ‘tone’ EQ should be done on the input stage or the console parametric (not graphic!) to flavour to suit the show and FOH persons needs.

Any resonances, small as they may be, will affect all bands equally so the alignment and tuning result is maintained. This is one reason why Lake is so popular at FOH I’m touring worlds. It offers a toning front end as well as easy alignment of various system ‘parts’ over Dante, without touching the system technician’s core amp / DSP platform. That means the next show starts most of the way to the finished result, and any anomalies in initial measurements are known to be faults in the system deployment and/or venue.

Edited by toastyghost - 22 January 2019 at 4:14am
 Post Reply Post Reply