Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Loudness creation in digital eq

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loudness creation in digital eq
    Posted: 17 January 2019 at 4:38pm
In old hifi amplifiers there was often a button or volume knob for loudness. I think that is what I want to create..?

I have a system for background music with 12 pcs RCF MR 55 5”+1” speakers. They sound really flat on low volume as for background music and I want to add litte low end and crystal.

I have Allen Heath Qupac with inbuilt EQ. What is good way to start for eq settings?

Smile curve?

How do you guys usually EQ this kind of background systems for getting life in to the sound?

Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 10:39pm
Yes smiley curve will do it, maybe start with a 6-8dB shelf filter at 80hz and a 8khz and adjust to taste. Ideally you want to use a dynamic EQ if available for this so the boost is reduced to zero as system volume is increased, this is what Yamaha employs in their home audio components and it works quite well.
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2019 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

Ideally you want to use a dynamic EQ if available for this so the boost is reduced to zero as system volume is increased,

This!
serioussound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2019 at 10:45pm
Problem is if I use the PEQ in my Allen Heath Qupac mixer with a low shelf it raise level on 30 Hz to right?

Allen Heath Qupac mixer has HPF on inputs. Can I use this to cut off frequencys under 40 hz? The HPF is 12dB.

I have no crossover or amp with HPF filter on these background speakers.

The cloud CX-A6 amp I use have a jumper inside for cutting under 65 Hz but I think it is for 100 volt use?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2019 at 10:48pm
My Allen Heath Qupac allow me to ”snapshot” settings and save as seens therefor I think to have a scene saved with low background music and EQ on.

And another scene with higher volume when EQ is off.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2019 at 10:53pm
100v or not if you engage the 65hz filter it will work
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2019 at 10:59pm
Ok is 65 hz filter ok wouldnt someting like 40 hz has been better?
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2019 at 11:16pm
On such small drivers I wouldn't go looking for flat to 40hz... near field monitoring in a treated room with large boxes design to go low with some presence but I think you'll find that those boxes are ment to have an f3 around 70hz or so... left me Google them hold on
 So, tuned to 65 and has a f10 at 55hz.
Getting low end on those is a bit of a pipe dream... why not cut all the boxes at around 90-110hz ish and build 4x bass cabs (say.. 12" bandpass6 type boxes) and load them into the 4 corners of the room to add a little presents... not for blasting at high volume but to pick up where the mr55 leave off. And being corner loaded will add a few db so the amp doesnt have to put any effort in and give you a feel of a more rounded sound.

Edited by mini-mad - 18 January 2019 at 11:22pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2019 at 9:21am
In this room I have a large setup with some 18” RCF and tops for dancefloor use.

The MR 55s are just for having really low backgroundmusic on the dinner. I just want them to have a little more dynamic sound on very low volume.

In the room next to it I have MR 88 for the same purpose these I found sound so muddy on low volume any tip here? (The MR 88 amp dynacord l 300 has hpf)

mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2019 at 4:16pm
...I would get something like a 31band eq and stick it inline with those speakers that sound muddy and have a play until you're happy.
Sound if highly subjective. Best thing would be to play around yourself until your happy then replicate what ever you do on the EQ on your LMS
 Post Reply Post Reply