Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Speaker question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Busterboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speaker question
    Posted: 17 January 2019 at 7:27pm
Hi There
This may appear very basic, but I would appreciate someone to share their knowledge.
We have a 12v dab car radio fitted to our narrow boat, it is fitted with a pair of speakers in the lounge and a further pair in the bedroom corresponding to the front and rear speakers in a car.
There are times when we just want the speakers in the lounge working ( when the wife feels like a peace in the bedroom).
I would like to fit an on/off switch in the bedroom but I understand that if I just have an open/closed switch in the feed to the bedroom speakers and leave the supply open circuit it would damage the radio.
What should I do? 
Thanks in advance.

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 8:32pm
Use the fade control on the radio?
Busterboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Busterboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 9:23pm
Thanks for your suggestion, but I need a switch in the bedroom that we can just switch off easily, to adjust fade control requires six menus to adjust down then another six to re-instate, too much faffing around.
Robert
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 9:50pm
Six menus, ouch.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 9:59pm
i wouldn't have thought it would damage the radio to just leave it open.. what is the model?
Busterboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Busterboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 10:18pm
it's just a standard Kenwood DAB with Bluetooth and CD.
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 10:24pm
No problem running Kenwood car stereos with open channels.  I run one with both amplifer channels open, just using the line out.

For safety, i'd use a DPST switch (break on both speaker wires), but a car hi-fi  probably couldn't electocute a mouse.
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2019 at 12:15am
The other thing you could use is a speaker level control, they look similar to a household dimmer switch.
They control a stereo pair and give you added level control as well as muting the speakers.
100% Earth Moving Bass
 Post Reply Post Reply