Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > MT122
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How about this one: Celestion FTR12 3070C

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How about this one: Celestion FTR12 3070C
    Posted: 18 January 2019 at 2:24pm
Hello

Has anybody used one of these: Celestion FTR12 3070C, its not perfect but appears ok on paper.

I'm based in Australia so shipping kills most speaker choices, I'm thinking this speaker might be OK. If any other Australian members have another easy to source speaker here id be keen to find out.

I will be intending to build a couple of half MT122 boxes with a very tight budget and would also like to have a few opinions on how good the low mid is from these? does it old its own to EAW, Turbosound and Meyer's low mid sections from the 1990's I'm assuming it does due to the popularity of this design.

Cheers

New person
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2019 at 8:57am
for the price and effort of building two. 12 inch plus nice comp driver. I would think that two TMS2's off the bay would be more cost effective . They would maybe sound better. Still loads around. The mt112 is a big ass box. Think about that also.
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2019 at 10:03am
If you have a nice amount of bassbins the TMS2 wont keep up.Half MT is not big,Its a one man carry. For even more compactness split the 12" and comp horns.
Dunno i always liked the sound coming out of the MT boxes,the choice of the compression driver gives every other MT its character.

biggins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 7:11am
Have you looked at shipping from Thomann in Germany? They have approx AU$75 flat rate shipping upto 23kgs and a much better selection of parts than here in Oz. Even paying the shipping you end up paying less than domestic Aussie PA speaker prices. Shipping time is quicker than Aussie domestic as well (pretty much). 

Also, FWIW, i just finished some MT121s and, they are good and all but, given my time again I'd consider the Pete Morris (2x12 + Comp driver) mid tops as an alternative. Comp driver is expensive though. 

Also, MT121 is a shitty one person lift IMO. 

Edited by biggins - 29 May 2019 at 7:12am
fat_brstd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat_brstd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 4:15am
Build the 12 section on its own, don't include the comp driver in the same box, it makes them an awkward lift on your own, especially on top of a big pile of subs.

I also 2nd the comment above about sourcing drivers from Thomann although be aware they are now no longer shipping 18" drivers to Aus but still do 15" & smaller.

Looking at that Celestion you are going to be paying around $300 each delivered in Aus yet you could get 2 x PD123er from Thomann delivered for about $670 total. I know which one I would be going with.
Adrians Wall Sound System
Melbournes Rootical Warrior
Roots - Dub - Steppers

facebook page
biggins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 6:17am
Originally posted by fat_brstd fat_brstd wrote:

Build the 12 section on its own, don't include the comp driver in the same box, it makes them an awkward lift on your own, especially on top of a big pile of subs.

^^ this. 

It would make your life heaps easier (and your back happier) Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply