Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Carlsbro CPX1200 - any info or manual?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carlsbro CPX1200 - any info or manual?
    Posted: 19 January 2019 at 5:22pm
Heyy.

Bought a Carlsbro CPX1200 for a fiver. Missing all output transistors as well as some TO-220 transistors. Any chance to find a schematic for it? Or maybe someone knows what output transistors it used? I'm missing every single one. 
I'd also love to hear any other useful info on it. Worth repairing? What kind of power do they make? Sound quality? Thinking of using it in my vintage system. Looks really well make and weighs in at a cool 22kg Cool

Regards
Joel
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2019 at 6:20pm
Output devices are the common MJ15024/5 combination.

The drivers are SM2178/7 but you can probably substitute a variety of devices in the pre-driver stage.

If you can give me an email address I can probably send you the schematic.

jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2019 at 7:37pm
Although you bought it for a fiver, is going to cost more than a fair bit to overhaul, a dozen MJ15024/25's at £5 each ,plus the drivers,and any other passive components you will need, is debatable wether it is really worth fixing?
Be seeing you.
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2019 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

Although you bought it for a fiver, is going to cost more than a fair bit to overhaul, a dozen MJ15024/25's at £5 each ,plus the drivers,and any other passive components you will need, is debatable wether it is really worth fixing?

^^This, someone's probably removed the o/p transistors as they're worth more than the amp itself. It would be a nice sounding, solid old thing if you got it up and running though.
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2019 at 9:53pm

This is a problem with old amps, or a lot of old equipment for that matter.
You could probably buy one that works for less than the price of the parts. Also could be a major issue somewhere which is why it was stripped for parts in the first place.
100% Earth Moving Bass
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2019 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by GAZ. GAZ. wrote:

This is a problem with old amps, or a lot of old equipment for that matter.
You could probably buy one that works for less than the price of the parts. Also could be a major issue somewhere which is why it was stripped for parts in the first place.
I'll play the odds on this one...

Somebody bought it dirt cheap and used the transistors to fix another slightly more powerful amp which only required a few of the matched pairs and stripped the rest for future use on the original old amp they were repairing... then sold it on slightly cheaper then THEY bought it just to get shot of the large lump of metal they didn't want cluttering up their workshop.

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
JJax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2019 at 9:13pm
It was sold for a fiver because the guy who owned it was a sound engineer who also did repairs but unfortunately passed away and now his daughter is selling/giving away/throwing out all his old stuff to clear out his apartment. That's why it was only a fiver.
It is true, new output transistors are stupid expensive and finding used ones is damn near impossible here as well. Guess it was wroth a try for a fiver.
A friend actually has the outputs he salvaged from another amp and can rebuild it so he was willing to trade it for some other parts I need. But if someone could still send me the schematic, that would be awesome, it would be super useful, I think he could get it up and running again then. :) 
My e-mail in joeljaemaa at gmail dot com. 

Thanks everyone for your replies! 
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2019 at 9:23am
Drop Andrew Bishop (BishopSound) a line, he used to be “Mr. Carlsbro”… he owned the company from 2001 to 2009… maybe he can help.

Bishop Sound - Member profile link below; Contact details in member profile

https://forum.speakerplans.com/member_profile.asp?PF=21100

MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2019 at 10:17am
Other thing to watch out for was the "crowbar triac" arrangement.

If the O/P devices have been removed because they had failed, likely to have taken out this crowbar triac arrangement too, some form of protection circuit, that protected by self destruction.

If you can get it working, not a bad amp, installed and sold many, and some still going after 15+ years of pub/club duty (on at 11am, off at 11pm 7 days a week!).

Whether cost of repair vs cost of buying a working PPX900 or similar is "in the eye of the solderer".
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
Dean Kirby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Kirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2019 at 9:43pm
Good sounding pokey solid amps, just don't let them clip.
From what I remember they're rated at 400rms at 8 ohms, 600rms at 4 ohms.
No idea about repairs etc though so couldn't say if the cost of parts would justify repairing it.
jesgatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jesgatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2022 at 3:18pm
Hi. I know this thread is a bit old, but I have got a Calrsbro CPX1200 and on the Input board it has IC2 and IC6 blown (not recognizable); R22; R23 and R31 totally burned. Does anyone has the circuit diagram please? thanks J
kaveesha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaveesha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2024 at 4:13pm
Sir can I have the service manual or diagram of carlsbro cpx 1200 please ?

Post Reply Post Reply