Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Punisher and X-tro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Punisher First Time Setup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junoprobelaunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Punisher First Time Setup
    Posted: 20 January 2019 at 11:20pm
Hi
I recently purchased 4 punishers and before long will also have a K8 of which to run them. I've heard many people say that in order to learn how to run punishers correctly you will blow alot of drivers and , obviously, I want to avoid this so I thought I'd turn to good 'ol speakerplans for some advice on how to run these monsters! The rest of the system comprises of 2 ES18s and two Paul Martyn M2s and will be used primarily at "not so legal" gatherings playing a variety of heavy DnB, Tekno, Bassline, Garage, Minimal and Hard Trance. Any and all tips and tricks are appreciated! TIA
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2019 at 12:04am
Originally posted by junoprobelaunch junoprobelaunch wrote:

Hi
I recently purchased 4 punishers and before long will also have a K8 of which to run them. I've heard many people say that in order to learn how to run punishers correctly you will blow alot of drivers and , obviously, I want to avoid this so I thought I'd turn to good 'ol speakerplans for some advice on how to run these monsters! The rest of the system comprises of 2 ES18s and two Paul Martyn M2s and will be used primarily at "not so legal" gatherings playing a variety of heavy DnB, Tekno, Bassline, Garage, Minimal and Hard Trance. Any and all tips and tricks are appreciated! TIA

I have had 12 for almost 3 years now, never blown a driver. Have had some dust caps come off, if you hear rattling around inside the cab, that's likely the issue. Just find another strong, 4 inch dust cap and glue it on with the correct glue and you are good to go. 

People will say things like 'they don't sing until you give them 1200 or even 1500 watts a driver'. Don't listen to them unless you like the smell of voice coils burning. I don't know where this comes from, maybe people with overstated power figures on their amps finding they can't seem to kill the drivers with full power. 

I wouldn't give them more than 950 watts a driver, and honestly, I'd be surprised if you gained 1db upping it to 1200 if you factor in power compression. 

Also, punishes roll of very fast below 40hz, the 40hz is strong with 4 or more but even at 35 hz, there is a huge drop in SPL. You won't get deep sub bass out of them. I wouldn't high pass them below 39hz but I haven't done much experimentation with this and maybe you will be able to find a reason to do it without over extruding the driver and killing it.  

Hope that helps
-Hugh
mrcheggman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrcheggman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2019 at 12:34am
Thank you mate, yeah that was very helpful! Was a bit apprehensive about whacking 1200 into them, thought 1500 sounded ludicrous glad that got cleared up.
munkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote munkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2019 at 9:02am
We had punishers run off k8's. Don't crank it too hard. Matey burnt out a load. 800w each imo

Edited by munkey - 21 January 2019 at 9:03am
the midtops!
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2019 at 9:16am
Do you have the k8 with dsp? If yes, the powersoft has very good limiting on board that also can help with the prevention of burnt drivers.
el chupacabra View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el chupacabra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2019 at 6:51pm
i always stuck with 45hz hpf. you can use the voltage output limiter in your k8 too even if it's not kdsp.
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2019 at 7:34pm
Then you still don't prevent overheating the coil. That's where the TRUEpower limiting comes in.

toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2019 at 10:28pm
You shouldn't lower the highpass filter no matter how many boxes you have. If you gain more extension, it will happen anyways. Your HPF is not a 'stop' and does not prevent summation below that point. It does not know nor care how many boxes you have, or how they are arrayed.

And you can do just fine using a K8, it's probably ideally suited. Any bigger, and you should set the output voltage 'soft clip' to 150v anyways. TruePower would be nice, if you have it, approx 120w per box per channel. Multiply it by number of cabinets on a channel - four per channel on a K10 would be nice.
junoprobelaunch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junoprobelaunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2019 at 10:45pm
Thanks for all that fellas ! That helped alot, hopefully will be getting these babies sounding nice :)
 Post Reply Post Reply