Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

martin audio h3 vs h3+

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: martin audio h3 vs h3+
    Posted: 22 January 2019 at 10:38pm
I have been using a pair of h3's on top of some ws218x for smaller inside shows for a few years now, its a nice sounding system and its out earning its keep on a regular basis.

Im considering swapping them out for some h3+

has anyone here owned both boxes and are the h3+ worth the upgrade?

Edited by Danny A - 22 January 2019 at 11:47pm
L8 ECU View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L8 ECU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2019 at 7:08pm
BTTT........Very good question, but no answers? Strange Confused
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2019 at 2:13pm
Never heard them together, so take everything I say with dose of salt.

AFAIK the only significant difference was a different bass driver, with a power rating difference, but seemed to give naff all difference to output SPL.

I have seen many rigs for sale (218+ and H3) where the H3 were a mixture of H3 and H3+. I don't think you would hear a difference, perhaps only SMAART or equivalent might spot it.

If you look in the MA V4.1 general presets, the only significant change is the Vx Limiter 15" driver threshold, which reflects the higher power driver.

H3 15" Vx at 66.5V, H3+ is Vx at 82.0V. Some differences in suggested PEQ, with H3+ requiring more, perhaps it has been measured more?

Download V4.1 excel available here https://martin-audio.com/support/loudspeaker-settings. Excel tabs of interest are "Blackline+" Row 41 for H3+; and "Blackline" row 57 for H3.

Edited by MattStolton - 25 January 2019 at 2:14pm
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
Danny A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2019 at 2:35pm
thanks for the info Matt, I have looked at the spread sheets, I just wanted some proper user feedback, higher numbers don't always mean better.
discosucks View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discosucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2019 at 6:33pm
I've heard and used both together and at different times . 

The h3+ have a very slight spl edge over the h3 in the mid/high (IMO) .

In an blind A/B test I don't think you'd notice the difference in over all quality . 
Danny A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2019 at 1:06pm
Thanks for the info discosucks, mine have just had some new 10" drivers fitted, may as well hang on to them by the sounds of it.
 Post Reply Post Reply