Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crossover components?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crossover components?
    Posted: 25 January 2019 at 7:48am
Morning all
What would recommendations be for a Crossover components supplier?...preferably a one stop shop.
Also what type of board are folks using.
Ta.
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
dlyxover View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlyxover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2019 at 11:26am
I've been using inductors and app from CPC.

Maybe not the best quality but sound quality is respectable.

I used a piece of 9mm ply for a board drill holes each side of large components and cable tied them on will a good helping of hot glue.

Yes they do have the appearance of a home made board but full functional after 2 years use/abuse
In the Truth there is no news, and in the News there is no truth
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2019 at 12:14pm
www.hificollective.co.uk have a good stock of fancy name capacitors and inductors in varieties of exotic metals.

If you don't need pure platinum hand rolled musk-oil filled caps, the lower end stuff is almost affordable...
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2019 at 1:28pm
Point-to-point wiring with solder tags and hot-melt is perfectly OK and a lot of manufacturers use that method.

Remember to use brass (not steel) screws for the inductors.

SCR (Solen) polypropylene capacitors are recommended, as are Volt inductors.

"Here's one I prepared earlier" (about 30 years ago):

http://spamabyss.net/pictures/Rs800xover.jpg

Edited by madboffin - 25 January 2019 at 1:29pm
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2019 at 1:35pm
I use Monacor whenever I need a coil, etc:

https://www.monacor.com/products/?t=products&s=crossover&page=1

Or, more importantly, protection!

http://www.monacor-spain.biz/Sites/monacor-spain/paginasPersonalizadas/Modelo1/articulosDetalle.aspx?cod=PL-1218

LOL

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2019 at 1:53pm
+1 for Hifi Collective who were FKA audiocomponents.co.uk

Bluearan has a good selection of components. But, really more appropriate for HiFi at the power ratings they have. EG no 50 watt metal cased resistors or 400 volt caps, or >1.2mm wire inductors. 

Yes in theory 20 watt ceramics and 250v caps are fine in a PA design, buuuuut I've repaired a lot of blown-up ones, and I would always go to the next level if possible. Passive crossovers are a compromise at the best of times, no need to make the situation worse by using marginally rated components that get red-hot if you run all night at full tilt.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2019 at 1:55pm
caps from these guys based in Yorkshire:

Monacor coils are best value.
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2019 at 2:19pm
The Ansar caps that suppression devices are selling are also very nice, they used to be based just up the road from me so could just pop in with the values I wanted and they made them to spec, cash on collection.
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2019 at 3:35pm
Suppression devices are the manufacturer for many brands. A few years ago I bought a clearance lot from them (apparently they make a few extra on every order in case of failure then every so often they clear them out).

I got caps with Turbosound, Ansar, Supersound,  ASS plus a few others.

The guy told me that they print whatever the client wants on them, but they are all actually made to 400v spec.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
Xoc1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xoc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2019 at 8:35pm
So Do you go for air cored inductors to avoid saturation, or cored for low resistance?
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2019 at 6:39am
Excellent...thanks a million lads.
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2019 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by Xoc1 Xoc1 wrote:

So Do you go for air cored inductors to avoid saturation, or cored for low resistance?

if your air-cored woofer coils get ridiculously expensive to keep DCR down, then consider ferrite-cored.
 Post Reply Post Reply