Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12 v simple system for reggae

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2019 at 12:32am
it's only funny until you realise the op came here for help and has had his useful feedback totally derailed by this intolerable $#@&.
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2019 at 7:31am
Originally posted by efinque efinque wrote:

[QUOTE=JonB67]and what knowledge do you have of the efficiency of the 15" tapped horns in relation to your single scoop

I can't say I've built or heard a tapped horn but some people seem to use them.. I think it's wiser to build a tall scoop and saw off the excess in case it doesn't work than build a short one and try to put an extension to it, standard sized sheets of wood are 1220mm wide after all.
[/QUOTE

Ian, this just needs to stop.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2019 at 7:33am
Originally posted by JonB67 JonB67 wrote:

it's only funny until you realise the op came here for help and has had his useful feedback totally derailed by this intolerable $#@&.
This is what we were talking about Jon, it needs to stop now, someone one day will get hurt using this total clowns advice.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2019 at 7:38am
Jay, sorry your thread is being de railed by efineque, he is a total moron so avoid anything he says, I will contact the moderators now and see if we can get his scrap removed.
Jay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2019 at 8:10am
no problem I get it, tried and tested is the way to go , 

Than 15 is the one fore me 

,and then 1 or two of :    http://www.dancetech.com/index.cfm?loading=pa&pa_loader=175

Would one of these be ok or should I go fore two , ( one would be more practical) ?

And then a top box , as simple as I can find , haw many tweeters should I be arming fore , 

As always thanks you lot , your advice will give a lot of happynes to us country foke out in the woods  ðŸ˜ƒðŸ˜ƒðŸ˜ƒ. Peace and love jay
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2019 at 12:48pm
Hmmmm not a lot of 12v builders use a 2x12 angled mid, I think purely because they are quite large and heavy. It's more common to see an all-in-one mid-top with 6, 8 or 10 inch drivers plus either a 1" compression driver or some kind of tweeter(s). However if you're happy to lift it and that's the look you want, there's nothing wrong with it from an audio perspective.

As for how many tweeters you "need"...well....as I said....just keep strapping them on until you achieve enlightenment ;) It's like Vespa enthusiasts with their lights and mirrors...

Srsly tho it depends on what tweeters you get. If you go for cheap piezos, well they are not very good, so you will need a lot. If you use a good compression driver and wide-dispersion horn, you probably only need one or two. If you use good bullet tweeters eg Beyma CP22, you probably only need two or three (mostly because they have laser-beam narrow dispersion, so you want a few pointing in different directions to spread the sound out). 
However, bullets will not really cross over directly to a 12" mid box, because they can't play low enough - not less than 5kHz really - and 12" drivers don't really play up to 5k, so if you use bullets or piezos, you will need some kind of hi-mid section to go between your 12s and tweets. Compression drivers will happily play from 2kHz up, which is no problem for a 12".

Definitely avoid cheap "MNC" "200 watt" bullets from eBay, they are heavy, very poorly made and barely even work.

Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2019 at 7:39pm
I'd go for something like :-

2 x smallish 8" mid-top boxes ....
a decent 8" driver (look for high-ish efficiency, high-ish Fs, neo magnet if you can afford it)
something like PHT-407N tweeter (as used in the boominator)
passive Xover

1 x 15" bass box ...
a decent 15" driver (doens't need to have high power handling- it'll be getting less than 200W)
in a reflex box

1 x 4-channel 4x100W (or so) full-range class D car amp. (Pioneer, Alpine etc.).

Use the built-in filters in the amp, bridge 2 chamnnels of the 4 into the 15" bass (i.e. 8R bridge), use the other 2 channels to drive the 8" boxes in stereo.

Cross the mids to tweeters at around 2.5 - 3KHz (you might well find an off-the-shelf Xover that would do an OK job .... the tweeters might need padding down a couple of dB. As the amp will only deliver 50W or so into 8 ohms, a Xover for hi-fi speakers would be possible.

Crossing the bass to mids - well you'd have some wiggle room there (using the amps HPF and LPF)
Somewhere between 120 and 180 could work .... try it and see what sounds good.

Then just get as much lead battery as you can lug (obviously the bigger the battery the longer you can play). Figure on a long-term average current draw of 6-8A playing music, so a 80Ah battery should last around 10 hours ... but include a volt-meter somewhere - and don't discharge the battery below about 11.2 V or so.
Bass box + battery should fit on something like a sack-trolley.
Aim to get the mid-tops up on sticks (or some other method of getting em up to ear height (ish).

Not "perfect" but a decent compromise methinks.

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123