Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

technical questions from Muppet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: technical questions from Muppet
    Posted: 07 February 2019 at 9:08pm
Hi 

I posted a few weeks ago "simple 12 V system for reggae "and I've got some great advice! Thanks!

So I'm making 2x Tham 15 's with celestion tf1525 15  drivers in and then x2 mid top cabinets  with the 10 inch drivers and tweeters that you can buy for the Boominator ( the better tweeters ) 

I'm going to power this with two   Pioneer car amps mono for bass and a Bridged 4 channel for the mid tops ,

So far so good but the thing that really melted my melon and I suspect will seem really easy to you foke,  is how I get all the  cross over to work ,

it's been mentioned that you could use miniDSP2x4 but I don't understand haw that fits in to the sistem ,  does that come before the amps or after? 

If the mid-tops have two types of drivers then presumably those cabinets will have to have their own crossovers how do I find out which ones I need to put in ?

Will  I need some sort of preamp between an MP3 player and the car Amps ( like the car has its head unit) ?

And I guess maybe the most stupid of all questions of all haw do I connect my music source to 2 amps, 

Thanks jay
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2019 at 9:17pm
Have you already purchased the head unit? Last time I played around with car audio the Pioneer DEH-80PRS was the 'go to' unit due to the wizardry inside (3 way crossover, 3 RCA outs) so that would take care of your crossover needs Smile then its straight to the amps and away you go.
You would need to go Radio - Crossover - Amps if not using anything with a built in crossover

Edited by IainB - 07 February 2019 at 9:19pm
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2019 at 10:25pm
most amps have a signal output so you can just link them one after the other and they all get the same input. You probably aren't going to do that however. 

If you're using a signal processor,  dsp, lms minidsp etc you'll actually use that the spilt the signal into different bands (high frequency,  top or mids and bass) then Send the spilt signal to each amp that amplifies that chunk of the music only and powers the appropriate driver

If you use a head unit with the capacities suggested above,  then it hasdifferent outputs that go to each amp.  
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2019 at 7:15am
Depending on what Amp you use for the Subs it should have an adjustable high pass and low pass filter built in so that would take care of the Bass.
Mini dsp is a good option for the Tops.
I have a 12v Bike rig with a single Tham15 and a Boominator...it's an absolute weapon!
I control the whole thing with a small Soundcraft Compact 4 12v mixer.

Edited by Shortrope - 08 February 2019 at 7:22am
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
Jay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2019 at 7:41am
thanks you lot , amazing   advice ,😀
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2019 at 2:38pm
RE: a preamp, I think you will need one, if you don't get either a small desk (eg the Soundcraft) or a car head unit. 

The output level from a lot of phones and MP3 player headphone sockets can be quite low, meaning they won't drive your amps up to full power on their own. I've found it to be less of a problem if you're using a Bluetooth receiver as your source, because they tend to have a stronger output.

Additionally, the miniDSP's outputs are not super loud, so depending on how much gain is in your amps, you might need some boost if you use one of those as a crossover.

This little box is super handy 

- and there are several other signal boost type units available on eBay, some even smaller than that.

But as I said, if you go with a small mixer or head unit, you probably won't need this. Only if you want to go direct in from a phone, or you use the miniDSP as the crossover.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2019 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by Jay Jay wrote:

thanks you lot , amazing   advice ,😀

Have you totted up the size/weight of this setup ?

2 x THAM15 + 2 x 10" mid-tops + amps/electronics + batteries is gonna be a helluva lump of gear to go lugging around the countryside.
I doubt it'll fit comfortbaly in a car - would need small van or at at least estate car (asuming mates/peeps also want to travel) - and travelling across fields/forest type of terrain .... well good luck.

It could - for sure - play loud enough to take your head off, but not so good if its so big/heavy that can't really get it to the places you wanna play is it ?

If you haven't already seen it, take a look ay my suggestion in your earlier post. Its just a somewhat scaled down version of what you've oulined above, but will be a good deal smaller/lighter. and will still play nicely for 30-40-50 peeps or more.

Nothing wrong with the THAM15 ( a single one) , but unless a DSP is involved to delay the mid-tops somewhat, you might notice the bass "lagging behind" - horn loaded bass boxes should have this.
Ask Shortrope how his behaves....

Another point - if you're bridging the tops amp into a 10" at 150-200W each (which is OK) - that 407N tweeter likely won't keep up - you'd need a proper 1" compression driver rated at 50W or so.

2 x (8" + 407N + passive Xover)  at 50W each seems much more sensible to me. In fact I'd be more inclined to look around for a couple of ready-made decent 8" boxes designed for installs etc.

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2019 at 4:09pm
I've not noticed a problem with delay to be honest.
My bike with just the single Tham15 and a Boominator can easily rock a small crowd outdoors of 30-50.
Jay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2019 at 6:10pm
arrr just when I seem to be getting it down there something I have misjudged , 

Size is not to much of a problem as me and my mates have landrovers and tractors! 

Will the mixer do the same job as the  mini dsb ?

The mini dsb sounds like a must to me ( and a good way to learn more ! )  

Delay arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr this stuff is mind boggling!,

Ok I will think agen about the mid tops,

Thanks agen

Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2019 at 6:14pm
The DSP controls the Speaker drivers and Amps, the Mixer controls the inputs and output of the whole system.

Edited by Shortrope - 08 February 2019 at 6:15pm
 Post Reply Post Reply