Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Subwoofer combination

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Subwoofer combination
    Posted: 12 February 2019 at 9:28am
Greetings, speakernerds <3

So I am about to build a 12v rig for a off grid summer festival here in norway. I am currently thinking about building two keystone subs (18"), two cubo kick15 and two bfm omnitops with cd horn. 

I also have a pair of tham15, I would love to make use of them because they are amazing. Question is: With two keystones in that frequency spectrum already, would it make any sense to spend electricity on them? And also, what is your thoughts about this setup?

One million thanks  to all of you for contributing to this forum, it's an amazing source of information. 

Sincerely

Kris

mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2019 at 2:09pm
Don't do it.
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
REIER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2019 at 2:37pm
Could you elaborate some more about your opinion please? Smile
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2019 at 2:52pm
Don't use different type of speaker types in the same bandwidth. You will have to do all manner of adjustments to make them sound right AND make sure they aren't cancelling each other out at some point within said bandwidth.

For battery power I would also raise you high pass to make the batteries last longer... soo... ditch the keystrokes and JUST use the tham15s.

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2019 at 3:26pm
What he said - don't build 18's, build more THAM15's ;)

If you really want to extend the LF range in a scientific manner, build some kind of super-sub-wobbler to go under the THAM's, and drive it from its own amp and batteries. With a crossover set, so that it plays in the band below the THAM's but doesn't interfere with them. 

That way you can turn it on and off as required - it would be a waste of electricity for a live band or acoustic set, for example, but would probably add something to the DJ playing later. 

If it just has to play a low, narrow bandwidth, you could build something really funky like a tubular bass cannon or long transmission line, or a narrowly tuned 6th-order bandpass cabinet.....
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
REIER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2019 at 8:28pm
oh gosh, I was not aware of this, thank you guys for pointing me in the right direction. So now I also conclude that keystone is not the right match, and I will build two more tham15. 

There is this other thing I have been pondering. When I built the thams, I wanted to save some money and bought the 15ps100 instead of the recommended 15tbx100. They sim almost the same, tbx hits one or two hz lower and woofer is 1db more sensitive. Now I do not need to save money, and I was curious what would happen if I build the next ones with the more expensive 15tbx100. They do have a higher power handling, and maybe that would be nice for on grid events in the future. Would I still be able to run them all on the same channel for low power use, or would there be complications? What are your thoughts on this?

So I will skip the deep bass project for this year to save time, money AND electricityTongue But your comment caught my attention. You are right, I only need to hit a narrow bandwith, lets say 30 to 50 hz.  Do you know how these suggestions you made relate to tapped horns in terms of effiency? And what about size for this given bandwith?

Regards
Kris

Post Reply Post Reply