Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2" comp recommendations for a BMS 2236?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2" comp recommendations for a BMS 2236?
    Posted: 15 February 2019 at 9:34pm
Okay so the Vitavox comps have to go as the diaphragms are just too expensive to take out so they're off to hifi boffs... so, who can recommend me a comp to go on the BMS horns I have? Crossing to some JBL 2226s and ideally 8r so I can get the most out of my Turners. I know there's another thread about 2' comps but my budget is no where near that, looking at around £200 per driver, under if poss.

Cheers folks.
blah blah blah blah blah......
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2019 at 1:28am
B&C or Beyma are probably your best bet.

DE75/DE750/DE85 or CP750 kind of thing.  All well used and popular 2" drivers.
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2019 at 10:29am
Cheers, I'm new to buying comps, for speakers I have a reasonable grasp of what I'm looking for with the TS parameters, with comps I have no idea.

What do I get when I pay more for example the B&C DC750 (£226 @ Blue Aran) and the DC75 (£170)?

In fact, I've just looked at the B&C site to see on there and the 750 is listed as discontinued... so for an extra £50+ per driver with the same power handling, same recommended cutoff (800hz), same diaphragm size. 

Main difference I can see is in the weight and that the 750 has a shorting cap for better top end. Is this what I pay for? I assume that more money buys a better (smoother?) driver?

Tempted by the B&C 750. need to check what the sketch is with availability.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2019 at 10:31am
RCF ND950 if you can find it for a good price.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2019 at 10:56am
RCF ND950 indeed, I have mine for a while now and I like them.

Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2019 at 11:09am
How low are you looking to run them?
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2019 at 12:22pm
So I was running the Vitavox down to 800 and they worked well. We had them set up a week ago in the workshop and out of interest had them down to 600 and they were still sounding nice and seemed to cross to the JBL 2226 better but thats not a real world test with live stuff or for long duration or for that matter serious playing with delays and EQ.

If I can get something that could run down that low that would be good as I'd like to keep the low pass on the 15"'s low so they can do what they're good at.

I hadn't considered the RCF, it looks nice by the specs. Its a little more than I'd like to spend but if I can be convinced... I can't afford to try several, I need to get this right first time.

This system is used for a wide variety of uses, small scale live stuff, all kinds of DJ from jungle to rock and roll. It currently won't get rinsed as I'm pushing the lot from my stupid stack of Turners so there won't be massive amounts of power. However, there are a few gigs I will need it for that involve larger crowds outdoor so I'll be getting a suitably sized rack in for those shows to give it proper welly.
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2019 at 12:50pm
Celestion CDX20-3020 might be a good choice,  ive not tried it personally though, ive quite a few of there 1" drivers and they are good, comparable to the Faital / PD / BMS drivers i was testing them against.  The 2" Celestion is pretty cheap. 
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2019 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by monkeypuzzle monkeypuzzle wrote:

Cheers, I'm new to buying comps, for speakers I have a reasonable grasp of what I'm looking for with the TS parameters, with comps I have no idea.

What do I get when I pay more for example the B&C DC750 (£226 @ Blue Aran) and the DC75 (£170)?

In fact, I've just looked at the B&C site to see on there and the 750 is listed as discontinued... so for an extra £50+ per driver with the same power handling, same recommended cutoff (800hz), same diaphragm size. 

Main difference I can see is in the weight and that the 750 has a shorting cap for better top end. Is this what I pay for? I assume that more money buys a better (smoother?) driver?

Tempted by the B&C 750. need to check what the sketch is with availability.

The B&C designs have evolved slightly over the years from the original DE750 to the DE750TN and then you can get the diaphragms in push terminals and spade terminals which all leads to slightly different part numbers.  The DE75, DE750, DE85 all use the same diaphgram (or rather choice of two, with either Polymer or Titanium 'TN' surround) so even if you buy an older version of the magnet assembly (Blue Aran have a few in stock), there's absolutely no issue with not being able to get diaphragms in the future.  I believe when Blue Aran took over the B&C distribution they inherited some old stock which included the previous revision DE750's.

That family of B&C drivers have been used in things like the Nexo PS15 and a whole variety of L-Acoustics boxes, all with quite low crossover points (sub 1kHz) so you should be safe there.  The DE750 is the recommended model if you need a low crossover point whereas the DE85 is rated for 1kHz upwards.

Edited by ceharden - 16 February 2019 at 3:58pm
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2019 at 8:09pm
Currently it's looking like the B&C DC 750 or the RCF ND950, I always end up spending a bit more than I first start out but ain't that the way. RCF seems to have a better response (assuming equal conditions used to create the graph... ha!) Sensitivity is up 2.5db so kind of noticeable and will get more from the Turners... It's more than half the octaves of the system so I'll splash out...

I guess spares for the B&C will be around for years, any thoughts on the RCFs?
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2019 at 10:12pm
Very difficult to compare responses because they will have been measured on different horns.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2019 at 2:31am
Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

Very difficult to compare responses because they will have been measured on different horns.

Quite, and the horn will determine how low you can safely take the driver. I have DE750s in a set of cabs I own and they are very smooth, midrange response required no correction at all but I did apply a shallow EQ cut to tame it some and of course a highend boost, but I didn't bring it up even with the mid response that sounds too bright to my ear. Overall very happy with these, the sound is crisp and clean and they show no signs of stress be it a DJ screaming through the system on a parade float, live band or whatever it is those Caribbean DJs play these days.
 Post Reply Post Reply