Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HH pro 100 series 2 resto

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Live1052 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2019 at 7:38pm
Thanks. I've actually ordered the fane drivers already. I'll report back when I get the chance to fit them. Cheers everyone for the advice and offers!
Live1052 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Live1052 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2019 at 10:26pm
Well I got home this evening and connected up the speakers to my hifi amp, and although they worked, they did sound a bit sorry for themselves. I mean they were listenable but I'd say if you gave them some welly they'd disintegrate. So I set about disassembling the speakers this evening in preparation for their restoration. The bass drivers were indeed in bits. Fasteners were corroded to hell which led to some swearing on my part, and 3 of the cabinet corners were cracked. I will be bringing all the parts into work to glass blast them and repaint them. I took the tweeters apart to do them too. We have a composite repair shop in my job too so I'll get those lads to repair the cab corners. Unfortunately there is a bit of wood rot in places, so I'll repair that with some resin. When all that's done, I will replace all the fasteners with stainless fasteners and install speakon connectors on the back panels, and I'll make sure everything is sealed up properly. These speakers will live again! 

(Incidentally I have a pair of Trio LS770 Class A 3 way speakers as my actual hifi speakers, driven by a TOTL Trio amp, so I do appreciate nice quality speakers. This is just a bit of fun for me.)
Live1052 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Live1052 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2019 at 10:44pm
I had a look on Thomann's website and the speakers hadn't shipped yet so I was able to put a return through. I'll get the Fane Sovereign TC version instead. I can try them with and without the tweeter and crossover and see how they sound. 
Live1052 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Live1052 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2019 at 8:43pm
This has turned into a serious restoration project. I now have all the metal bits painted or lacquered and the cabinet corners are in getting repaired. The paint turned out really nice so I'm looking forward to seeing how the bits look when they're reinstalled. The problem I have though is one of the cabinets has succumbed to rot in places. I have poured wood hardener over it in the hope that it can be rescued after it sets with a bit of filler, but I'm teetering on the edge of making a new cabinet at this stage. We'll have to see over the next couple of days but if I'm not happy with the outcome I'll be talking to someone who is better at carpentry than me. Anyway, pics below...

http://photos.app.goo.gly95rCYJ3ApFTiZV7 - https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ny95rCYJ3ApFTiZV7

Video of them working...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjivYq8rE8Y - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjivYq8rE8Y

cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2019 at 11:43pm
ah they don't look that bad really.

kerbdog. nice. been a while.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2019 at 1:27pm
I'm one of those people who have no issues upgrading the components of vintage gear as you have to or when it makes sense to do so given what is available now vs then so I say re-build as much of them as you have too, drivers, crossovers, cabinets. I'd just try to keep the outward original appearance whilst bringing up the performance to what is possible with modern options. Have your cake and eat it, why not.
Live1052 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Live1052 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2019 at 5:30pm
I spent several hours restoring these old speakers. I sandblasted, repainted and lacquered all the metal parts, repaired any damaged wood with wet rot hardener, wood glue and filler, all fasteners were replaced with stainless fasteners or whatever was suitable, the badges were repainted and tweeters polished up and lacquered, crossover recapped and connectors replaced with speakon connectors, a new aluminium profile strip was made for the bottom and I used 2 profile pieces to make finishing strips for the sides.

I also picked up a studiomaster 1200D amp for €50 cause it wasn't working. All it needed was the pots cleaned. A bit of deoxit did the trick there. I made up new speaker cables. I bought 1 20 metre cable from Thomann along with 2 connectors and made 2 out of the 1. Worked out cheaper. 

In the end I'm glad I returned the Fane Sovereign 12-300 drivers in favour of the 12-250TC models. On listening, there would have been a massive gap in frequency response. The TC drivers are very nice actually and give a good frequency coverage where the tweeter just adds that top end sparkle, so thanks for the advice there folks! I did, however, after listening, add some fibreglass stuffing, because there was sod all bass out of them really. I mean I know they were never going to be the bassiest cabinets but they were severely lacking. After adding the fibreglass though, that did remedy the situation greatly. They're still not going to compete with the likes of EV SX-300s watt for watt, but they do have a nice quality to them and are very pleasant to listen to now. I did briefly give them some welly and they do pack some punch. 

So, in conclusion, I am very happy with the outcome of this project. I feel that I've brought them back to how they originally would have sounded but improved their image somewhat. Would I bring them to a gig? Yes, absolutely, and I will be doing just that in 2 weeks time! I'll report back with how I felt they performed. In the meantime, here's some pics...

Edited by Live1052 - 16 March 2019 at 5:31pm
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2019 at 6:48pm
looking nice!
aziz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aziz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2019 at 1:19am
looking great,I love seeing things like this,  especially old cars that look like they just came off the production line.
I have a fond memory off hauling around these old HH boxes back in the day
Live1052 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Live1052 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2019 at 8:13pm
How did you find them when you were using them? (Aside from heavy as hell!)
Live1052 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Live1052 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2019 at 7:53pm
I made a video of the work i put into these...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12