Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sinbin 1200

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thattkyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sinbin 1200
    Posted: 18 February 2019 at 6:31pm
Hi

I recently bought a pair of audio intimidation sinbin 1200s to start off building a little shindig soundsystem on a budget.

It turns out that one of the voice coils is rubbing and thus unusable, I can’t return them as they’re second hand and I don’t think I’ll be able to get any spare drivers or recone kits as they are no longer in business. I was wondering if there’s any other drivers I could use instead or if it can be reckoned? I have 2x fane sovereign 1200-lts could they work at a push? 
Thanks
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2019 at 9:41pm
If you get the driver out of the cabinet, take a picture of it and post it on here, somebody might recognise what driver it actually is. I don't think AI made their own drivers, so it's gotta be an OEM unit.

Got to admit, I was quite surprised by the sound of those cabs!
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
thattkyle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thattkyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2019 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by djeddie djeddie wrote:

If you get the driver out of the cabinet, take a picture of it and post it on here, somebody might recognise what driver it actually is. I don't think AI made their own drivers, so it's gotta be an OEM unit.

Got to admit, I was quite surprised by the sound of those cabs!

Hi mate thanks for your reply,
these are the photos I took the other day - i'll try and get some better ones soon

studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2019 at 2:15pm
It's got to be something like a Ciare 12.00SW - which has a very strong motor and stiff cone to push the air load in the horn. A standard bass/mid 12" will probably tear itself to pieces in that horn.

There aren't many drivers on the market like that; PD made the 12SB30 but it's now discontinued, has been replaced with the neodymium 12SB40. There's also the Eminence LAB12, but it is probably too loose suspension-wise and anyway they are notoriously easy to blow. EAW have some subs that use 12" drivers but they're only going to be available as spare parts through EAW, which always means £££££.

So your best bet is to get either the Ciare or the PD, but they're expensive, probably more than you paid for the bins - or possibly contact RMJ Loudspeakers (recones.co.uk) and see if he has, or can make up, a suitable cone and coil to fit those baskets?
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
dj-mip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj-mip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2019 at 5:59pm
I can't remember what driver is in them but I can remember it has a 4 " voice coil in it as was quite surprised when found out.

a.t.m.
thattkyle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thattkyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2019 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

It's got to be something like a Ciare 12.00SW - which has a very strong motor and stiff cone to push the air load in the horn. A standard bass/mid 12" will probably tear itself to pieces in that horn.

There aren't many drivers on the market like that; PD made the 12SB30 but it's now discontinued, has been replaced with the neodymium 12SB40. There's also the Eminence LAB12, but it is probably too loose suspension-wise and anyway they are notoriously easy to blow. EAW have some subs that use 12" drivers but they're only going to be available as spare parts through EAW, which always means £££££.

So your best bet is to get either the Ciare or the PD, but they're expensive, probably more than you paid for the bins - or possibly contact RMJ Loudspeakers (recones.co.uk) and see if he has, or can make up, a suitable cone and coil to fit those baskets?

Thanks mate i've done some research and Ciare 12.00SW are suitable for these cabs although they're £200 each and you're  right I only paid £250 for 2 loaded sinbins Confused
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2019 at 6:20pm
Ive got several 12" drivers for sale that will work in 12" bass horns, i just put them all up on facebook https://www.facebook.com/james.secker

Cheers

James 
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
thattkyle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thattkyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2019 at 11:58pm
I see your post the other day but nothing caught my eye.

Would fane sovereign pros be suitable for smt212s?
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2019 at 8:51am
Yes the Sov pros should work well in that design,  for the sinbin i think the 12TBX100 or the 18 Sound 12LW1400,  or the Fane Colossus 12XB will work well, they all have strong cones and are suitable for horn loading,  the Faital 12HP1060 or the 12RS1060 should also work if they will fit.    
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2019 at 9:40pm

There aren't many drivers on the market like that; PD made the 12SB30 but it's now discontinued, has been replaced with the neodymium 12SB40. 

12SB40 is only possible to get on special order/OEM order.
And 12SB30 is actually superseeded by the 123C01 :) 
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2019 at 8:49am
Celestion FTR12-4080DL should work well in the punisher or similar bass horns. 

colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2020 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by FOO FOO wrote:

There aren't many drivers on the market like that; PD made the 12SB30 but it's now discontinued, has been replaced with the neodymium 12SB40. 

12SB40 is only possible to get on special order/OEM order.
And 12SB30 is actually superseeded by the 123C01 :) 

I have 4 x PD 12SB30's that could be for sale for the right price

Edited by colint - 23 February 2020 at 7:34pm
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
 Post Reply Post Reply