Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Beginner distro question?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old king coles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beginner distro question?
    Posted: 22 February 2019 at 7:33pm
hope one of you lovely folk can help me out, I've only ever run my rig from 13a sockets, the venue we're playing at in April has 32a and 16a power supplies....what do I need to look for in a distro? Obviously I'll be buying not building one Thumbs Up
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2019 at 8:40pm
get a 32A distro and then use a converter cable if only a smaller outlet is available
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2019 at 8:51pm
If it's just for one usage you're better off just hiring something off another local company.

What you're likely to need is one or more 16A to 4/6/8Way 13A adaptors.  If you want to use the 32A supply (assuming single phase) then although it's possible to do 32A direct to 13A sockets, you'd be more likely to use something like http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=PCE9030182&browsemode=manufacturer then 16A to 13A adaptors.

Although many people do just take the 13A plug off 4-ways and wire a 16A plug on, there are some issues there regarding the current rating of the cable.

Things like https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/pel00159/lead-2-gang-13a-skt-16a-plug-1/dp/PL14284?st=16a%20plug%20to%2013a%20sockets are potentially dubious for the same reason but a pragmatic view would be that 300mm of 1.5mm2 is fairly minor in the world of bad electrical practice!

I'm sure plenty of other people on here have their own views on the subject!

Can of worms open, lets go!

Post Reply Post Reply