Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HF Horn dispersion for wedges

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foca_Dacian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HF Horn dispersion for wedges
    Posted: 26 February 2019 at 12:54pm
Hi,

I am building 4 x monitors 

the design in the link.

The stage where I will be using these will 90% of the times be 4 m x 4 m so a small stage (1 for bass player, one for brass section, and 2 for vocals)
The original horn in the design is 90 x 70 degress,isn't that a little to wide for such a small stage?
Should I go for a more narrow dispersion?
I was looking at the Beyma TD164 ( 60 x 40  degrees), players don't really move on the stage because of the limmited space.
What do you guys recommend?

el chupacabra View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el chupacabra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2019 at 3:46pm
in either case you will probably find that the wedge angle of that cabinet design is only useful on stages where you can get 0.8m -1.5m+ distance between listener and the monitor. so for smaller stages you would want the angle to face the baffle more directly up towards the listener. otherwise all the sound they will be trying to focus on will be directed towards their knees/waist/drummer. this is especially difficult for taller people on shallow stages.

a wider dispersion hf horn would actually assuage some of those issues a little but the right wedge angle coupled with a moderate focus (say 60x40 or 60 x 60 conical) will work better on small stages with not much depth/distance between monitor and musician.
 Post Reply Post Reply