Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gasket material for speaker hardware?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gasket material for speaker hardware?
    Posted: 26 February 2019 at 2:49pm
So I've fired up my subs getting everything ready for the summer and some of them are chuffing just a little around the handles. They're bar handles that sit on the end of the cab so I think that they just aren't sealing properly on the corners. I don't really want to put silicon sealant in there unless I have to so does anyone have any recommendations for something i can make a gasket out of? I'm thinking bicycle inner tube? But maybe from a motor cycle so I get the full width of the handle? Any off the shelf options?

Handle is like this:

blah blah blah blah blah......
spongebob View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spongebob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2019 at 2:55pm
Foam gasket tape is what you want to Google
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2019 at 3:41pm
The stuff for doors and windows? I’ve only ever seen it in thin strips and could do with something a little wider.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2019 at 4:02pm
How wide do you need it? It’s fairly easy to find up to about an inch wide.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2019 at 4:18pm
An inch would probably do. To be honest I’ve only really looked in the usual general hardware places. Will try a little harder...
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2019 at 5:06pm
Search eBay for self adhesive neoprene tape. You'll find plenty of widths and thickness.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2019 at 6:19pm
Monacor MDM-20
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2019 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

Monacor MDM-20

^this. 
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2019 at 9:28pm
Cheers, 20m on its way to me now.
 Post Reply Post Reply