Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newbie scoop question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cutdown69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie scoop question
    Posted: 27 February 2019 at 7:08pm

OK this is likely to be one of those dumb ass questions but I'm gonna have to throw it out there.
In my wisdom I have a sound system with 2 x 18" scoops paired with 2 x 15" scoops..for sub bass. I have invested in a lovely reggae preamp as I will be playing vintage 60s and 70s reggae and want to keep things all analogue. 

If I drive all 4 x boxes at same frequency (40hz to 90hz), as they are different sizes I guess this is a big no no with frequency cancellation etc, so I plan to split frequencies at 40hz to 65hz for the 18"bins and 65hz to 90hz for the 15" bins... Do you feel these frequency bands are too narrow and therefore inefficient? Would it be worth trying all 4 x bins on 40hz to 90hz and see how it sounds? 

Thanks 

levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2019 at 7:57pm
Mixing Scoops sizes, very bad idea.

In fact mixing Scoops designs period, is for all those old soundman who think they know about soundsystems, but dont.

Keep the 15" drivers, get rid of the 15" Scoops.

At the least, put the 15" drivers in reflex above the Scoops, and be amazed.

Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Sinai Sound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinai Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2019 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

Mixing Scoops sizes, very bad idea.

In fact mixing Scoops designs period, is for all those old soundman who think they know about soundsystems, but dont.

Keep the 15" drivers, get rid of the 15" Scoops.

At the least, put the 15" drivers in reflex above the Scoops, and be amazed.

THIS

Basically 
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2019 at 10:28pm
3rd that... scoop on scoop is very bad.. never heard any sound make it work even with stacks of processing..

I could go into the why's ect, but prob a question best kept to the scoop section of this forum.

Edited by bee - 27 February 2019 at 10:33pm
https://www.elements-audio.com
cutdown69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cutdown69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2019 at 7:48am
Thanks for your guidance... Naive error on my part. I'll take the 15" scoops out and just use the 2 x 18"s for subs duty
 Post Reply Post Reply