Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mini/micro Line Array Project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_lorn_teat_flag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mini/micro Line Array Project
    Posted: 02 March 2019 at 6:53pm
Hi all,

I'm starting a new project a little bit crazy (need to keep busy ^^).

There would be 2 speakers + 1 compression driver.

For the design, I was thinking about something like that:

Dimensions are 50x35x20cm approximately. With the compression driver mounted on a waveguide like this one:

The two mid/bass will be located within the horn walls.

Regarding the opening angle of the horn, I haven't decided anything yet but I was thinking something around 90 degrees. To be confirmed with a simulation.

For the low/mid section, I've selected 3 drivers that could suit: FaitalPRO 4FE32-4, 5FE100-4 and 6FE200-4.

I've done the first simulations with Hornresp (7L for the 4" and 5", 10L for the 6").

The front face of each speaker will radiate in a kind of horn, more a duct in fact (circle equal to Sd, 3cm deep). This explains the (wanted) ascending slope and the resonance at 1kHz.

I'll choose the driver size according to mechanical constraints (not sure if the 6 inch driver would fit ^^).
And I might completely change the dimensions because the volume is too big (15.4L but the drivers need only 8-10L).

In light of the above come some questions LOL:
  • I want the total impedance of each box to be close to 8 ohms in order to be able to use 2 boxes for one amplifier channel.
    So I can use either 2x 4 ohms in series, or 2x 16 ohms in parallel.
    Is there any advantage to one or the other solution?
    In terms of acoustic design, I don't really want tu use 16 ohms speakers because they exhibit a bump around 100-300 Hz due to high Re.
  • For the compression driver, I've selected several models : Oberton D2525, Beyma CD1Fe, B&C DE10 and BMS 4524.
    Is there any ref that you would recommand to me and/or experiences with one of the above refs?
And to finish, regarding the crossover, it will be passive between the mid and high. Certainly 3rd order high pass for the compression and 2nd order low pass for the mid/bass.
And the filtering between boxes will be active.
 Post Reply Post Reply