Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can i use an 30 hz speaker with 20hz

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Visti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2019 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

I actually like the P-Audio stuff. I have loads of 18´s, 12´s and 2" drivers in my system. They are very tough & reliable. I don´t think that I´ve actually blown any, which is quite amazing. But then I don´t use them outside the recommended frequency ranges!  Smile

I´m sure that speaker will be fine for your parties - just don´t expect 20Hz from it!

Good to hear they are good. Thank you very much again.
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2019 at 5:37pm
What sort of music are you intending to play?

How much content does it actually have below 30hz?

You can run a sample track through Audacity (free software) and find out. (Ive not needed to do this but i believe it's pretty simple)

Dont compromise the build of your 18 trying to get lots of sub content below what it's designed to produce.

Have you tried to simulate this driver in a software package like winISD? 
Visti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Visti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2019 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by JonB67 JonB67 wrote:

What sort of music are you intending to play?

How much content does it actually have below 30hz?

You can run a sample track through Audacity (free software) and find out. (Ive not needed to do this but i believe it's pretty simple)

Dont compromise the build of your 18 trying to get lots of sub content below what it's designed to produce.

Have you tried to simulate this driver in a software package like winISD? 

I will try all of that and thanks for the advice.
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2019 at 12:31pm
Any cone speaker will reproduce pretty much any frequency. It just does it quieter. When you listen to  music on a cheap stereo, the very low notes are still there. They just don't come over as loud as the rest of the music, hence the sound is bass light. If you put 30Hz through a 6" speaker the cone will still respond but it won't be very loud.

The problems start when you are pushing the amp/speaker to their limits. A very low note will push the speaker beyond it's safe excursion. Plus the amp will be generating a lot of heat, trying to reproduce notes the speaker can't handle which will overheat the voice coil.

For your info 40Hz is the bottom E on a 4 string bass, and 30Hz is the bottom B on a 5 string bass. The lowest note on a piano is about 27.5 Hz (A).

If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
Visti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Visti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2019 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by markie markie wrote:

Any cone speaker will reproduce pretty much any frequency. It just does it quieter. When you listen to  music on a cheap stereo, the very low notes are still there. They just don't come over as loud as the rest of the music, hence the sound is bass light. If you put 30Hz through a 6" speaker the cone will still respond but it won't be very loud.

The problems start when you are pushing the amp/speaker to their limits. A very low note will push the speaker beyond it's safe excursion. Plus the amp will be generating a lot of heat, trying to reproduce notes the speaker can't handle which will overheat the voice coil.

For your info 40Hz is the bottom E on a 4 string bass, and 30Hz is the bottom B on a 5 string bass. The lowest note on a piano is about 27.5 Hz (A).

Thank you very much. Smile 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12