Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

helps for a proper measurement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Natty_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: helps for a proper measurement
    Posted: 06 March 2019 at 8:27pm
I'm a newbie to all the world of far and near field measurement.

please forget me if i make some silly question.

I'd like to make a measurement for each component of my system to understand how and where apply xovers. So ill do an axis and off axis meauserement of each component.

I'd to understand how much power do i need to make a measurement that have sense, i'll do it probaly in my storage boxes, but no power just 1 16A plug. 
Should be the speakers rise the maximum level or its ok to measurement without pushing it too much?

in my opinion should be accurate just for mid-mid-hig and tops, for basse and kick section this approach could be not right, or i wrong?
both are horns, ive seen how to make near field meas. and combine that with the output from the ports, in the reflex case. Could I use the same approach for horns like scoops?
I know that i need to meausere it even as group of 4 and in outdoor situation, but maybe could be a good starting point or is it a wasting of time?

cheers
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 8:52pm
Look through all the documents posted on the DIYRM Facebook page, lots of advice there.
king david View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2019 at 11:33pm
From my limited experience indoors measurements or outdoors near walls are a waste of time, find an outdoor location with no boundaries
http://www.warriorcharge.noblogs.org
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2019 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by king david king david wrote:

From my limited experience indoors measurements or outdoors near walls are a waste of time, find an outdoor location with no boundaries

Not totally, but you need to be able to spot reflections in the IR, Coherence, and therefore Mag and Phase plots. You can window these out if the software allows, at the expense of low frequency resolution.

There's a little paper on it for REW here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_65c8z6pbn2SGZWbVN5cnVpamM/view?fbclid=IwAR0MYUsAJLMHxU83GBYpeLTOtQYOSG-s0xz6MTzNDI7HtocShDFc0A6HLsg
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2019 at 2:45am
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

you need to be able to spot reflections in the IR, Coherence, and therefore Mag and Phase plots. You can window these out if the software allows, at the expense of low frequency resolution.

Which is to say... an operator really needs to know what he is doing, a novice will not be able to separate the room response from the speaker response so as King David suggested the OP should find an outdoor space to use.
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2019 at 8:46am
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

you need to be able to spot reflections in the IR, Coherence, and therefore Mag and Phase plots. You can window these out if the software allows, at the expense of low frequency resolution.

Which is to say... an operator really needs to know what he is doing, a novice will not be able to separate the room response from the speaker response so as King David suggested the OP should find an outdoor space to use.

Did you follow my link? As long as you measure in the correct locations (reasonably nearfield) room reflections for most midtops should be relatively easy to spot.

There’s validity in multiple measurements. You don’t need to be outdoors to assess xover options.
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2019 at 11:14am
Toasty is rite. If you read through the mountains of information on the net. Gating shouldn't be rocket science. Just go to the minidsp page they have lot's of plain speak tutorials.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2019 at 3:45pm

There’s validity in multiple measurements. You don’t need to be outdoors to assess xover options.
OK I agree with that but that is looking at it from the perspective of an experienced techie with lots of speaker design experience. Does the OP fit that description or are they a complete neophyte, until they gain a certain level of knowledge and experience a person could make hundreds of measurements and still not understand what the they are looking at.
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2019 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

OK I agree with that but that is looking at it from the perspective of an experienced techie with lots of speaker design experience. Does the OP fit that description or are they a complete neophyte, until they gain a certain level of knowledge and experience a person could make hundreds of measurements and still not understand what the they are looking at.

How do you think someone becomes experienced? They look at hundreds of measurements and realise they don’t know what the they’re doing
rosssss224 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosssss224 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2019 at 6:16pm
On a vaguely similar note turning sine sweeps into impulse responses is how they image under the earth looking forf oil and gass. Except instead of a speakers they vibrate a big off truck onto the earths surface...

By looking at the impulse response unwanted reflections can be deleted out the data set

Post Reply Post Reply