Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sub bass in Fane 200L reflex box

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZenDUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sub bass in Fane 200L reflex box
    Posted: 13 March 2019 at 6:39pm
First post here after lurking a couple months, this will be my first ever DIY build!

I'm planning on building a sub for a 2.1 system (just for house parties etc) using the 200L reflex box from fane loaded with a colossus 18XB. 

On fane's instruction sheet it says this will deliver bass down to 35hz, but I'm wondering if this 35hz is an absolute best case scenario and the response would drop off sharply below 35hz, or would I be able to reach say 30hz in a bedroom environment?

Would appreciate if anyone could share their experience with this or a similar setup
Cheers!

Edited by ZenDUB - 13 March 2019 at 6:42pm
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2019 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by ZenDUB ZenDUB wrote:

First post here after lurking a couple months, this will be my first ever DIY build!

I'm planning on building a sub for a 2.1 system (just for house parties etc) using the 200L reflex box from fane loaded with a colossus 18XB. 

On fane's instruction sheet it says this will deliver bass down to 35hz, but I'm wondering if this 35hz is an absolute best case scenario and the response would drop off sharply below 35hz, or would I be able to reach say 30hz in a bedroom environment?

Would appreciate if anyone could share their experience with this or a similar setup
Cheers!
Not sure why you want it to hit 30. Most of my stuff rolls off at 40 and if it doesnt is cut at 40 by the DSP and never had 1 person ask where the other 10hz are. Not once, ever.

The fane is a fine box and gets good reviews. But for size of a 2.1 system (I own three and a bit 2.1 systems) for house parties I always take my MTH30. 12" driver... rolls of quickly at 45hz and pounds in small rooms with less then 250watts poked into it. For house parties it's my favourite cab to use.

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
ZenDUB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZenDUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2019 at 8:36pm
Cheers for the response

Mainly want to hit 30 after spectrum analyzing some tracks, I've found that several songs (particularly dnb) have bass notes as low as the 25/30hz range. 

I basically want to try and avoid when you can hear some bass tones in a song but then have it cut out when the lower note plays (with my current speakers start to roll off at about 40hz), and from what I've analyzed the limit I would need to reach seems to around 30hz.
One of the main reason I want to build a sub is to get that little bit more extension and be able to hear the lower tones.

mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2019 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by ZenDUB ZenDUB wrote:

Cheers for the response

Mainly want to hit 30 after spectrum analyzing some tracks, I've found that several songs (particularly dnb) have bass notes as low as the 25/30hz range. 

I basically want to try and avoid when you can hear some bass tones in a song but then have it cut out when the lower note plays (with my current speakers start to roll off at about 40hz), and from what I've analyzed the limit I would need to reach seems to around 30hz.
One of the main reason I want to build a sub is to get that little bit more extension and be able to hear the lower tones.

Dont analyse a track for content. Use your ears. If the speakers you have roll off at 40 its prob the cabs f10 (-10db lower then the average FR) so you can  hear them but  not with any authority.

If you are just running a pair of cabs (12" or 15" with a comp driver) there rarely is any real sub content despite what ever the vendor says it can do. If you cant hear the bass go low enough then yes, build a sub, but just have a sub playing 40-100hz and cutting that band from your tops will sound tremendously better then trying to get your tops to play it. A solo sub will have closer to an f3 at 40hz (-3db) which just by the numbers is 7db louder then your tops. That's more then twice the loudness!!

I would have a listen to a few other peoples subs before setting your heart on a 30hz sub as it will require some serious power and likely a seriously large box. Neither of which makes your house party system small, portable, or an easy load into a car.

I have an FBT 15" powered sub that I send out with dry hire with a pair of powered tops that have never had a complaint (for quality) just from neighbours because of the bass. And by no means is that anywhere near a 30hz sub... by any stretch

Edited by mini-mad - 13 March 2019 at 10:11pm
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
ZenDUB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZenDUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2019 at 10:15am
Oh right that makes a lot of sense! and yes you're right, I'm just using a pair of 12" pa cabs at the moment. I didn't really know about those 'f' values for speakers beforehand so I'll do a bit more reading/research and try to have a listen to some other people's subs.

But I see what you mean that it might not be worth all the effort to get a '30hz sub'. I appreciate the advice!
 Post Reply Post Reply