Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Quick advice needed please.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamie-ashton-solo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quick advice needed please.
    Posted: 19 March 2019 at 7:35pm
I'm currently looking to purchase some subs to go underneath my pair of tannoy vnet 100s.
I have 2 to choose from based on what's available and my funds.
Need to decide by tonight.
1st option is eaw fr250z. With upgraded drivers to b&c tbx40-8
2nd option is eaw sb800 upgraded drivers to oberton xb700s

Obviously 1 is dual 15s and entry level eaw. The other is dual 18s. Power of drivers seems to be around the same, as is spl. But is there a big leap in quality if I go with the sb800s?
Also I should mention I'll be transporting these on my own. So if the sb800s are as cumbersome as they look then that may be a factor.
But if the quality is that much better I can make a sacrifice.
Thanks in advance.
Jamie
Finjby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finjby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2019 at 10:50am
  if it were me I'd go with the double 18".
I've owned both cabs in the past and the 250z wasn't that impressive.. even with 3 per side.  However, both your options have non standard drivers so it's down to how they sound and your tastes, and the compatability to the tannoy in terms of size and stacking etc.

The tannoys are a loud box so I would suggest the 850 will be a more suitable companion.... but if the spl between both the options is very similar due to 'upgraded' drivers then it's simply down to your preference.   
The FR250z is quite deep due to the push pull arrangement so factor that in with van packs etc...  you may find a pair of sb850 take up less space in a van if you are only running a pair.

Post Reply Post Reply