Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mitigating effects of low quality material

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mitigating effects of low quality material
    Posted: 21 March 2019 at 2:27am

In a few weeks I'll have a dj-only gig where the majority of the material played will be a ghetto-style music with very poor mastering and quality, sometimes the only releases are youtube or 128kbps mp3. Everytime I do such a gig the bass simply goes away, a lil EQ sometimes help, but when the DJ drops a pop track on 320kbps and pro mastering you can see the subs clipping and night and day difference.

Now this gig a lil more hi profile, I'll have access to more equipment and was thinking of asing the provider for a DPR 901 or TC finalizer, do some sort of dynamic EQ/ multiband compression, maybe some analog pre to try and get some more "oomph" from the tracks, I know I can't bring quality, just want to make things a bit more equal on the dancefloor.

Any ideas?
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2019 at 9:51am
try a DBX 120A or  DBX 120XP to generate some sub content where this is absent.
SPL Vitalizer has quite intuitive controls for quickly making adjustments in a live situation.
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2019 at 3:26pm
The thing is, you can't correct a bad mixdown by good mastering - if the producer just had their mixdown levels all over the place, due to having crappy monitors or poor technique, no amount of compression or EQ is going to make a difference. 
If by chance the *only* thing wrong is that the bass and kick drum aren't loud enough and the track as a whole has too much dynamic range/isn't normalised to 0dBFS, then yes some added low end EQ and overall compression might improve the sound in the club. But I would say that's rare. Normally you would just end up making it muddy/boomy/too loud by such techniques.

Although you say the bass "just goes away" - that sounds like it could potentially be a phase problem? You could try inverting one channel and then summing both to mono, see if it makes things better or worse...

I had someone plug their laptop into my mobile rig via a mono-sum cable the other day, and the sound that came out was super tinny, no bass, not even any low mids. 
We suspected the headphone socket might be duff. But, on digging into his Windows sound settings, we discovered that "Dolby surround" was activated. Turning it off restored normal, full-spectrum sound! 
So it seems that Windows can sometimes "intentionally" output out-of-phase left and right channels - I've heard it on several Youtube videos too - could be that some of these tracks are affected by a similar thing? - maybe a "surround sound" plugin...

Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2019 at 9:12pm
The Dolby surround option doesn’t flip POLARITY on one side, it applies a HPF to the left and right channels to put the sub content into a dedicated LFE channel. Hence 2.1 to 7.1 for surround setups
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2019 at 2:32am
If I had a surround setup and the satellites sounded like this did, I'd be very disappointed - there was nothing below about 1k. Besides, what sense does it make for the system to apply that to the headphone out? It was clearly some hacky attempt at stereo widening for the 'phones, not playing well with my mono sum cable.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
Cobby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2019 at 3:56am
DBX 120XP and the vitalizer seems to be the way to go with this, I think it's easier to find the dbx for dry rent than the vitalizer. 

at 0:25 you can see what i'm dealing with, it's supposed to be 'bass music' but i guess the mix/mastering is made for crappy speakers. Lots of ghetto / local tracks have a lo fi issue, even some reggae.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2019 at 1:55pm
there's an older version of the vitalizer for sale on ebay at the moment
 Post Reply Post Reply