Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To 2” or not 2” that is the question.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To 2” or not 2” that is the question.
    Posted: 27 March 2019 at 10:46pm
So I’ve recently purchased some twin 12” + 2” cabs, unloaded. Planning on utilising these on small events with my Pd186 sub 18s. Currently the top boxes have a 2” beyma horn. Never been sold on 2” comps, to me or of what I’ve listened to they suffer past 10k and produce no sparkle without considerable eq. So do I change for a 1.4” and new horn. Spend out on some 4590s and a new horn or ideally can anyone recommend a good 2”. Currently I’m planning on using 18sound 12mb700s below the comp.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2019 at 11:54pm
Or, find a way to add a 1".

I've actually just scrapped some cabs which were twin 15", 2" and 1".  It just happened to work out that with a 7kHz high pass filter on the 1", it perfectly compensated for the CD horn roll-off on the 2" and pretty much no other EQ was required.

It really depends how much 'sparkle' you're after.  Most modern 2", B&C, Beyma etc with some sensible EQ (too much and you just kill the diaphragms with VHF, yes it happens), mainly to compensate for the horn as much as anything can be made to sound pretty acceptable.  However you'll never match a 1" or dedicated super tweeter etc.

Some 1.4" drivers and horn combo's can be better but the large format diaphragm will always be a limit to some extent.  I use the 18Sound ND1424's with the 2.5" diaphragm and the HF on those is pretty good, the NSD even better, but you do loose a little authority at the lower end so I don't cross them below about 1.5kHz.

boots-hifi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2019 at 7:23am
Chris physically the only way to add a 1” is to use a coaxial and modding the cabinets to take a larger format horn. This obviously helps the 2” on the coaxial meet the 12”s and in turn help reduce the 12” beaming. Ideally I’d like to find a 2” , I don’t have to modify anything, it will meet the 12” nicely. It’s been quite a while since I’ve listened to any other components other than those on my F1 and so I guess I’m wondering if things have got better for the 2”. There seems to be allot of good units on paper apart from the old usual candidates.
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2019 at 1:14pm
Which Beyma 2" comps and horns do you have?

If Beyma resp graph rolls off early, forget it.

I've had decent sizzle out of 750TI, with b&c alum horn, analogue eq, Class AB amps.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2019 at 2:12pm
I like the RCF ND950, pretty good highs, and can be almost flat with one PEQ (+2dB).
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2019 at 2:34pm
Another thing to consider, if you are bringing in 2" below 2khz, also forget about hearing decent sizzle, unless driver has a natural peak occuring 12khz up.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
martinsson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2019 at 12:18pm
Why choose, I got myself a pair of HF206's (FaitalPro) and the interesting thing here is that they are labeled 2" but it is 1,4" at heart (HF146), only with a 2" adaptor pre mounted, the reason for my choice was partly this flexibility, ´but also that they don't have a titanium membrane which to me makes a lot of difference to the sound, and seeing as I already had a XT1464 1,4" horn (Eighteensound) and a JBL2386 2" 40x20 horn I'm reluctant to let go of (sounds very nice given it's narrow projection) this became two for one solution in my case.
The 2" adaptor is easy to dismount, it sounds very good with little to no harness, surprisingly flat and extended response with great dynamic capabilities and resolution (subjectively) on both the JBL 2386 and the XT1464, I was surprised at how good it sounded, but then my previous references in 2" category are old (JBL 2445/2446/2450), very good drivers booth all of them, but not nearly as nice sounding in my opinion, but then again, I'm really comparing them with a modern 1,4" with a non metallic membrane, and I can guess which one would give up the ghost first when use din anger :)

Swedish Pro-fi diy-nerd - http://www.martinsson.cc/blog/
 Post Reply Post Reply