Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Purchasing Advise - QSC PL6.0

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2020 at 3:05pm
This makes it all still tempting...

Edited by levyte357- - 01 September 2020 at 3:06pm
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2020 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by APW APW wrote:

Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Yes - and a load of "linear output power devices" that "you can not buy", eg:-

I think he is referring to the ixfh74n20 output devices, they are about an easy to get hold of as rocking horse sh!t….

…. Other hard to obtain device used in the PL6.0/ 9.0 amplifiers are still available however have delivery times of up-to about 6-9 months.

Ok, I´m not familiar with these amps, but by the weight I presume that they have "linear PSU´s" and "standard" Class H outputs (?).

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2020 at 9:54pm

Nope… big ass switching PSU... You are correct about the outputs, 4 step class H!!

TBH, 27Kgs is fairly good for a 20 year old amp design that can deliver 6 or 9KW (depending on model).

4AC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4AC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2020 at 8:47am
PL6.0 II is the one you want... I would avoid the predecessor due to already mentioned reliability reasons.

My brother has one for sale, if anyone is interested. Located in The Netherlands.
uǝɿɿɐʌǝ6ɯo sı ʇsʞǝʇ ǝzǝp
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2020 at 11:14am
Originally posted by 4AC 4AC wrote:

PL6.0 II is the one you want... I would avoid the predecessor due to already mentioned reliability reasons.

My brother has one for sale, if anyone is interested. Located in The Netherlands.

is it 220-240V?

Please PM asking price/email address, city.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2020 at 11:17am
My deal I was expecting for one of these fell through, so I am looking for PL6.0 II pfc.
4AC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4AC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2020 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

is it 220-240V?

I sent you a PM.

uǝɿɿɐʌǝ6ɯo sı ʇsʞǝʇ ǝzǝp
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2020 at 4:26pm

Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

is it 220-240V?

I sent you a PM.

Thanks.
Boxes-R-Blue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxes-R-Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2020 at 11:36pm
To the best of my knowledge most the PL series blow-ups were in US (what prick runs a real 6KW amp off 120V???????) or idiots running them of 50m of 4mm mains cable, as long as you have stiff mains supply (0.8KA or better PSC at the amp) you are fine.

I wouldn't consider a 120V variant as the PSU is under twice the strain (240V halves the current) and a 120V 10KVA transformer will weigh 70KG and cost more than the amp.

Also forget using a "building site" transformer, they only 110V (which is this instance is a HUGE issue) and the earth in in the wrong place!

Kinda Been there, Kinda done that, YOU COULDN'T handle my bar bill!
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2020 at 2:27am

QSC discontinued the Powerlight 9.0 due to failure rates caused by the Power Factor Correction. There was never an issue with the Powerlight 6.0. However, to keep things on the safe side, QSC discontinued the PL 6.0 and, introduced the PL 6.0 II excluding the Power Factor Correction.

To attain 6000 watts is fairly easy on 120 volts. The Powerlight 6.0 and 9.0 was aimed for the touring/commercial market. It was never aimed for the little guy who relies on residential circuits which offers a maximum of 20 amperes. You can attain 50 amp single-pole breakers in the United States. In the 1990's, if you could afford a Powerlight 6.0/9.0 you can afford to invest in the proper means of feeding the amplifier with sufficient means of current.

In the United States, QSC had a reputation of consuming the least amount of current when compared to Crown amplifiers. Crown amplifiers dominated the US touring market in the 1990's.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
Boxes-R-Blue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxes-R-Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2020 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

QSC discontinued the Powerlight 9.0 due to failure rates caused by the Power Factor Correction. There was never an issue with the Powerlight 6.0. However, to keep things on the safe side, QSC discontinued the PL 6.0 and, introduced the PL 6.0 II excluding the Power Factor Correction.

To attain 6000 watts is fairly easy on 120 volts. The Powerlight 6.0 and 9.0 was aimed for the touring/commercial market. It was never aimed for the little guy who relies on residential circuits which offers a maximum of 20 amperes. You can attain 50 amp single-pole breakers in the United States. In the 1990's, if you could afford a Powerlight 6.0/9.0 you can afford to invest in the proper means of feeding the amplifier with sufficient means of current.

In the United States, QSC had a reputation of consuming the least amount of current when compared to Crown amplifiers. Crown amplifiers dominated the US touring market in the 1990's.

Best Regards,

Prob because Amcron's PSU could never achieve the same duty cycle as QSC, the PL 9.0 racked up 1000s of miles with Claire amongst others, but bear in mind these like like 120mm feeder to their rigs!
Kinda Been there, Kinda done that, YOU COULDN'T handle my bar bill!
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2020 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by Boxes-R-Blue Boxes-R-Blue wrote:

Prob because Amcron's PSU could never achieve the same duty cycle as QSC, the PL 9.0 racked up 1000s of miles with Claire amongst others, but bear in mind these like like 120mm feeder to their rigs!

Amcron/Crown in those days had a very low tolerance for low voltage. If the voltage was too low, they would cycle into standby. This is why, those who own racks of Crown amplifiers were always critical on having enough current on demand. Even the old Macro-tech 2400 would pop a 20 A breaker given the chance in the States. 

In the case of the PL 9.0, it offered the largest amount of wattage at the time so, it made logical sense to own them. However, once QSC stated the issues they were having with the Power Factor Correction, they were limited on parts and, you were on your own when they run out of parts, many companies began selling off their PL 9.0s. It was smart on QSC's behave to tell their loyal customers beforehand than, falling to the same fate as Crest.

The average American Regional Sound Company in those times would rather send their amplifiers back to the company in which, it was designed if/when it is malfunctioning than, the community repair-tech.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 18 October 2020 at 7:12pm
Elliot Thompson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12