Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which amp for 8 pd186 tubbys scoops

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lowbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which amp for 8 pd186 tubbys scoops
    Posted: 05 April 2019 at 6:26pm
Greetings , 

New on the forum hello to everyone and thanks for taking some time to read my post and help me on this hard question i have . 

I have 8 small chamber tubbys scoops loaded with Pd 186 playing dub music with a preamp . 

I have two options to run them : 

- use my two proline 3000, 4 scoops on each amps running them @ 4 ohm, proline delivers 1500 watts per channel @ 4 ohms for two scoops. 

or 

- use my void infinite 8, 8 scoops on the amp running 4 scoops on each channel @2ohms , infinite 8 delivers 3800 watts per channel @ 2ohms . (heavy headroom)

I fear to blow up the drivers with the void set up and not sure if the void would last long @2 ohms without getting too hot. With this set up i have a lot of headroom which can be good but also hard to deal with because i dont use limiter and it is then very easy to blow all the drivers. What do yu think about it ? (basically if i was running pd 1850 i wont be so affraid but those speakers are way too expensive for me and i love the 186 tones and sound) 

One ting really important also is that running the void in this set up i need a 32 A plug and not all venues got it, it would be more easy to run the 8 scoops on that question with two proline with 16 A socket. 

So basically i say to myself it would be more secure running two proline (hard to blow drivers with this set up ) and it will be more easy to play everywhere with that set up but i wont have the power i have when running the void . 

as yu see it s a difficult choice i have to do, and any experiences, infos and comments are welcome . 

thanks in advance for your help    

Edited by Lowbass - 05 April 2019 at 6:31pm
king david View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2019 at 10:09pm
not a big fan of those amps (but I've heard the infinite 8 delivering powerful bass), I'd be more worried about the proline frying the drivers than the void, you can look around few threads about pros and cons of proline amps, just my opinion but price and warranty are the only good things about them.

obviously it would be a good choice to have two amplifiers for bass than one, I just wouldn't go for that model.
if you play with 8 scoops it means you play venues big enough to think about putting some more money for your bass amps
http://www.warriorcharge.noblogs.org
boots-hifi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2019 at 10:11pm
Use the Void. PDs are conservatively rated. Prolines are great but will fry your drivers any where near clipping. Infinite 8 mk2 is in my view one of the best bass amps produced.
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2019 at 9:28am
Edited due to pre coffee post.

Get another Void Infinite 8MK2, as suggested above.

Run 2x boxes per side, each amp.

When money allows, sell the PD186s, Get PD1850s (NOT the series 2,/2), get the 2007 onwards model, with black labels.

PD186s  sound nice, but just not strong enough for Dub sound.

Edited by levyte357- - 07 April 2019 at 10:48am
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Lowbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lowbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2019 at 6:47am
thanks very much for yur advices 
definitely would love to go for a seconf void amp even if not easy to find ! 

@Levyte357 was thinking recently buying void V18 1000 speakers instead of running 186 i heard good tings about it , have yu any ideas of them ? 

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2019 at 8:38am
Originally posted by Lowbass Lowbass wrote:

thanks very much for yur advices definitely would love to go for a seconf void amp even if not easy to find ! 

@Levyte357 was thinking recently buying void V18 1000 speakers instead of running 186 i heard good tings about it , have yu any ideas of them ? 

V18-1000 Is very good speaker in many cabs, but 1850 sounds better in Scoops playing Dub.

Edited by levyte357- - 10 April 2019 at 10:11am
Lowbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lowbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2019 at 7:35pm
ok Levyte thanks for yur help and advices
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2019 at 9:38am

ok Levyte thanks for yur help and advices

There maybe a way to get V18-1000 to play warmer in "certain" small chamber Scoops, PM me.

Mate did have some small chamber Scoops, with V18-1000, and he used a certain technique, and raved about the results.

This maybe better than paying big money for old drivers.

EDIT:V18-1000 cutout is bigger than PDs, so depending on cutout in your boxes, you may have to widen them, which maybe too much hassle for you.

Edited by levyte357- - 09 April 2019 at 10:09am
Lowbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lowbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2019 at 11:43pm
Yes Levyte thanks very much for your reply , i will pm you as soon as i find how to pm ypu (new on the forum, need to find out how it works still :) ) 
BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2019 at 2:42am

Yes Levyte thanks very much for your reply , i will pm you as soon as i find how to pm ypu (new on the forum, need to find out how it works still :) ) 

You're a newbie here. Get your points over 10 and you'll be able to PM.
If your vaccinations were mandatory and nobody in your class had measles,
then you know that you're not a Millenial kid.
</f
 Post Reply Post Reply