Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Handles for 1850 horns?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote singingfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Handles for 1850 horns?
    Posted: 01 May 2019 at 11:42pm
Hi all.
I've got a pair of 1850 horns with PD1850s in and really nicely built. I love 'em.
Has anyone managed to put handles in 1850s successfully?

I have the cabs for gig work and eight handles in each would be ideal for handling as they are the weight of small moons.
There's so much going on in the cabs though that I want to be very careful before going at them with the router jig.

I built my own design tops to sit on them with Penn Elcom corner handles and was wondering if these could be used for these cabs to match. I like the way they look and they're great for ratchet strapping.

These:

colinmono View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinmono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 4:34pm
Our 1850's only have handles at the mouth end... would be interested to know if anyone has tried putting them at the driver end. Handles placed at the driver end are going to protrude into the start of the horn path (opposite the driver). Sorry I can't really help with your question but will be following with interest...
colinmono View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinmono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 4:40pm
The looney bin (which I'm guessing used the same folding as the 1850 horn) had handles on the sides, which I guess wouldn't interfere with the horn path much. We move ours up and down stairs more often than I'd like, so not sure this solution would be the best for that case.

snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2021 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by singingfish singingfish wrote:

Hi all.
I've got a pair of 1850 horns with PD1850s in and really nicely built. I love 'em.
Has anyone managed to put handles in 1850s successfully?

I have the cabs for gig work and eight handles in each would be ideal for handling as they are the weight of small moons.
There's so much going on in the cabs though that I want to be very careful before going at them with the router jig.

I built my own design tops to sit on them with Penn Elcom corner handles and was wondering if these could be used for these cabs to match. I like the way they look and they're great for ratchet strapping.

These:

I think I have the same corner handles that you used - Penn Elcom H1105/90. I was going to use them on my new build but just noticed that they aren't airtight. they are made out of folded sheet, not stamped out of a single piece so there are eleven air leaks in each handle. Not sure whether to seal them all up or use a different handle. H102491 is manufactured differently from zinc and ABS plastic so I assume there wont be any holes in the corners. Also just clicked with me that to recess these corner handles you have to round over inside the recess after routering which is a PITA too.
 Post Reply Post Reply