Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bandpass sub for home and garden!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bandpass sub for home and garden!
    Posted: 10 May 2019 at 8:33pm
Hi Guys..

Going to build some of Rog's 184 Subs. And load them with a couple of bored Fane Colossus 18XB drivers.
But i dont want to make them like the original plans, so i have made it a bit different. 

Driver placement, front chamber volume and layout, and front chamber ports are the same.
Rear chamber volume and rear chamber port the same, but because of the altered layout of the rear chamber, the rear port now sits closer to the bottom panel and the magnet.

All in all, the enclosure is now 680mm high and 800m deep, instead of the original 864mm high and 615mm deep.

So if i am not mistaken, there shouldnt be any differences in performance?
I might swap out the 3x 6" ports, with 6x 4" ports.
Oh yeah, and i have added a 10mm radius flare on the ports, so that has been taken into account regarding port lengths Smile

What say you all? Embarrassed
Cheers...

Edited by FOO - 10 May 2019 at 8:35pm
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 6:47am
Not sure about your reach but I think it will be real difficult to get the farthest bolts in.
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 9:17am
I got Kids LOL
But your so right. Didnt think of that. 
Back to the drawing board then.

monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 9:28am
Move the lower port to the side and use a 1/4 inch socket set with a short ratchet extension if mounting with bolts. You'll easy get it in then.
blah blah blah blah blah......
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by monkeypuzzle monkeypuzzle wrote:

Move the lower port to the side and use a 1/4 inch socket set with a short ratchet extension if mounting with bolts. You'll easy get it in then.

That might do the trick also.

But anyways, am i right about that i can mess around with the design, as long as i keep the chamber volumes the same?
Thinking of making another try at it, and resizing the ports. Make one large port for each chamber.
Something like Nexo CD18 ports.

Could be a fun project to mold some fiberglass ports :D
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 2:03pm
Quote But anyways, am i right about that i can mess around with the design, as long as i keep the chamber volumes and port area's and port lengths the same?

In theory, yes. Practically, if you don't go to the extremes, feel free to mess around with chambers and ports.

In the graph below, in theory Cubo Sub 1 MIH and Cubo Sub 3 MIH are the same, only the Sub 1 cabinet is deeper and the Sub 3 cabinet has more height. Still enough for a significant difference.

Johan

FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by mobiele eenheid mobiele eenheid wrote:

Quote But anyways, am i right about that i can mess around with the design, as long as i keep the chamber volumes and port area's and port lengths the same?

In theory, yes. Practically, if you don't go to the extremes, feel free to mess around with chambers and ports.

In the graph below, in theory Cubo Sub 1 MIH and Cubo Sub 3 MIH are the same, only the Sub 1 cabinet is deeper and the Sub 3 cabinet has more height. Still enough for a significant difference.

Johan

I will have a go at it. Should be a fun little weekend project.
Actually i am thinking of getting a PD186 recone kit. I got a blown driver laying in the corner alongside with the two 18XB's. Could be fun to A/B test them side by side. Rog M recommended Both PD186 and 18XB's for this cab. Besides PD184.
But maybe its a waste of money.

700w vs 1000w.
95dB vs 99dB sensitivity.
5" vs 4" coil.
10,5mm vs 7,5mm Xmax.

I know Xmax has some influence on SPL, but 300watts and 4dB more in favor of 18BX, thats hard to keep up with. And 18XB just sound so good. 

Thats quite a difference you show there. But doesnt it have something to do with the horn path being different then?
 Post Reply Post Reply