Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DMX addressing - noob question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DMX addressing - noob question
    Posted: 13 May 2019 at 12:07am
Hiya

This is probably a stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway.

When addressing my fixtures, the addresses don't need to follow in the order I connect them, do they?  As in if I've got got 4 fixtures, using 6 channels each, linked a->b->c->d as long as I use start addresses of 1, 7, 13 and 19 does it matter whether fixture a has address 1, b has 7, c has 13 etc or could I put a as 7 and b as 19, for example.

I'm thinking of linking up some scanners up on stands with some LED uplighters and cable management may mean that the fixtures don't link, physically, in a nice sequential order.
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 12:22am
Your assumption is correct. You can give any fixture the adress you like, even the same adress.
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 7:49am
The system broadcasts your entire dmx universe. You program each fixture with an address so it can look at the right part of that broadcast information. 

So no, as above,  it doesn't matter what order you put them in as they're all getting all the information and just taking what they need.  
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 12:35pm
Your addressing should be laid out to make design and programming easy, rather than in cable sequence order.
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 12:41pm
Thanks for all the replies and yes, my addressing makes sense for the units I’m using and the control software. I think I was having a moment as it was late when I asked for help. 

Thanks for all your replies
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
 Post Reply Post Reply