Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tfl-760 or Stasys 3.2 advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loop656 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tfl-760 or Stasys 3.2 advice
    Posted: 17 May 2019 at 9:54pm
HI guys,

Long time reader of these forums - all your advice has supported me a lot over the last 12 years so thank you all! Firstly, I apologise if this has been answered before (I know certain aspects have been in previous posts).

To the point - I am upgrading my high end (currently 2 void primes and 2 mt121). Looking at either Turbosound TFL-760H or Void Stasys 3.2s kboth of which will cost roughly the same per cab) . Aiming to have 6 of either which will sit ontop of:
4 void psychos (to become 8 by the end of the year)
8 ES18s loaded with Fane 18xb.

My issue is 3 fold, I have heard both and prefer the TFL-760H, however I am concerned that the ES18s will not go high enough to meet the 180hz xover of the turbosounds without issues. Whereas the 3.2s would easily go down to 120hz and eliminate any issues.
Secondly, I have also read/struggled to find replacement drivers easily/cheaply if something was to fail, meaning potentially expensive reconing costs if the worst comes to pass.
Lastly, I would be easily able to run 3 TFL-760H daisychained off the amps I have (Lab 3600 with one ch running LM and the other ch HM)
, and my yamaha running the highs). Whereas the stasys 3.2s would require purchasing another set of amps to cover everything with ample headroom kobv adding to over all costs)

What would people recommend? The Turbosound option would ultimately be cheaper, however will I miss that lower mid range and potential issues if something broke.

Sorry for the long wall of text (although the more info the better I would guess)

Thanks in advance.

Jared BBL
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 10:24pm
well i have floods, but not stasys, but i've heard them a lot. the biggest downsides to floods are the 180hz high pass, i'd rather the stasys on that point. and the 3 way active. not sure if you've counted on that above.. you'll need 3 amp channels per side.

also, floods are 50 degree horizontal dispersion and stasys 3 are 40, so 3 a side of either will total 150 degrees for floods or 120 for stasys..
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 10:32pm
Your ACOUSTIC crossover is not where the ELECTRONIC filters are set. In reality you should have no problems making the Floods work as long as they are properly aligned and crossed over. You will need someone to measure the system and experiment to achieve that.

The same applies for the Stasys 3.
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 11:27am
Will psychos play up to 180 or at least 163?
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
loop656 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loop656 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 5:12pm
Thanks for the replies guys Big smile

@cravings -  both the TFL's an Stasys 3.2s are 3 way (although the 3.2s do have a passive xover built in I am unlikely to use it). My main issue i that the rms power of the stasys is 2x that of the TFL meaning I would need more amps than I currently have to run them.

@Toasty - while I am aware of the aucoustic xover will vary depending on how I set the processor - my worry is the the ES18s will just sound muddy and honky if run to meet the TFL. Has anyone tried this before (I have read this post that describes wadding the chamber: https://forum.speakerplans.com/highest-playing-best-sounding-driver-for-es18s_topic91551.html)

@jacethebase - on paper the psychos will run that high, although I have never seen anyone pushing them further than 120ish
loop656 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loop656 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 8:26pm
I guess ultimately, which would sound better ontop of the ES18s (I realise sound is subjective which makes this question kind of moot).

Any advice is very welcome.
Fracture_clinic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fracture_clinic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 11:52am
Originally posted by loop656 loop656 wrote:

I guess ultimately, which would sound better ontop of the ES18s (I realise sound is subjective which makes this question kind of moot).

If psychos will run to 120, is it worth considering the 3.2's as you will be able to omit the ES18s for smaller gigs?

Gives your system more flexibility?
Fracture_clinic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fracture_clinic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 11:53am
Originally posted by Fracture_clinic Fracture_clinic wrote:

If psychos will run to 120, is it worth considering the 3.2's as you will be able to omit the ES18s for smaller gigs?

Gives your system more flexibility?

Wrong quote replied to.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 11:58am

Again that depends more on how it is setup than almost anything else.
loop656 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loop656 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 7:08pm
Thanks for your advice guys. Decided on the Stasys 3.2s in the end.

@Toasty - will get it professionally setup. Any advice on who to talk to around Scotland once I get everything together?

Cheers
 Post Reply Post Reply