Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Been offered some BGW VX660's and 440's any good?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Been offered some BGW VX660's and 440's any good?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Been offered some BGW VX660's and 440's any good?
    Posted: 31 May 2019 at 5:05am
I am building (4) quads. So 16 subs total. JBL 2245H drivers. If I get 4 VX660's for the subs then each VX660 is spec'd at 1050W at 4 Ohms. So 525W per driver with two drivers per channel. The JBL's are 8 Ohms. So 2 of them parallel os 4 Ohms.

These are 30Kg old amps. The guy selling them says he wouldn't go near these old  heavy type amps because light weight amps are more efficient, lighter etc.

Some people on speaker plans still vote for heavy older amps. I like the idea of old heavy amps.
I am an inexperienced sound man. But I assume that with so many cones pushing air, I won't have to drive them very hard to get a big wave of smooth pillowy bass.

Anyone know of these amps? Any good? I've never heard of them. Ok, I will shut up and google now.
Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2019 at 12:01am
Depends on the box that's on the other end of the speaker cable 
Roman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2019 at 12:27am
Ok, so I take it the amps are considered good. I am completely inexperienced with big power amps and their qualities.
I've got good speakers. Just need to make good cabinets and I should have something decent for people to dance to.
There isn't much talk on the net about BGW amps, but the few comments seem positive.
The BGW website dates the release of these VX660 and VX440 at 2002.
The resulting sound probably also depends on what is fed into the amps.

Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2019 at 7:48pm
As far as i recall the BGW amps were mostly installed in cinemas and had their moment of fame in the 80's. A company over here in the netherlands is selling arond 200 of the performance 3 (2x800w@2ohm) at half the price of comparable touring brands (crest and so on) and seems not to sell one of them. so there has to be something odd about them when touring them. never heard or touched one tough.. 
Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2019 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by Bams Bams wrote:

As far as i recall the BGW amps were mostly installed in cinemas and had their moment of fame in the 80's. A company over here in the netherlands is selling arond 200 of the performance 3 (2x800w@2ohm) at half the price of comparable touring brands (crest and so on) and seems not to sell one of them. so there has to be something odd about them when touring them. never heard or touched one tough.. 
Probably a lack of spares. 
I've used 750's, GTA and GTB on many occasions 
 Post Reply Post Reply