Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Big power from boost converters?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big power from boost converters?
    Posted: 02 June 2019 at 3:45pm
So these handy looking units seem to be on the market now: 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1200W-20A-DC-Converter-Boost-Car-Step-up-Power-Supply-Module-8-60V-to-12-83V-New/192905653698?hash=item2cea12adc2:g:w3YAAOSw9kxcy6Ws&frcectupt=true

They could be good for powering some of the new "T-AMP HV" modules from Sure/Wondom, that can accept up to 96v DC input.

However, if you read the small print they are limited in power by that "20 amp" rating - that's the max INPUT current. So if you have 12v input, they can only do 240 watts total including switching losses. Maybe 200-210 watts at the output. Not enough....

I'm thinking that this input current limitation comes from the MOSFET used to switch the inductor. Could anyone tell me if it's likely, that swapping out that MOSFET for a higher-rated type, and probably putting a bigger fan on the heatsink, would yield a higher-powered converter? Of course some of the current limiting feedback circuitry would have to be altered...That inductor looks beefy enough to handle more current though. 

Or, would such a change mean re-designing the whole board and the inductor too?

The other thought I had was, how likely is it that you could connect two or more of these in parallel at their inputs and outputs, without blowing anything up? Is there a concept of "sync" or "master-slave" generally available on the controller chips used?
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
 Post Reply Post Reply