Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Inverter power

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inverter power
    Posted: 19 June 2019 at 11:15am
So a community event in a park that I do every year now needs wireless mics and a slightly better PA option compared to the 12v amp with a pair of Void Impulse speakers I've put in before. There is a mains option but the run is 50m+, needs proper sign off and would be hard to make safe from the public so:

I've run small systems off of basic 600w cheap inverters before and they've been okay but I think I need something with better reliability and maybe pure sine. The amps will be some old toroidal amps so shouldn't be too fussy other than maybe the inrush. I need to power a small desk and the receivers as well so maybe 1500w total. 

Can anyone recommend or point me in the right direction?

Oh and small gennie is a no go.

Cheers folks
blah blah blah blah blah......
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2019 at 11:37am
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2019 at 12:07pm
I would highly recommend this one. I bought my first one 2 years ago and very quickly bought a second. The first is used in my workshop to cut all my grills and has been in regular use since purchase.

I use the second in a large garden shed which doubles as a woodwork shop. Both are powered on 12v batteries with solar panels for charging. This one runs a Bosch 1800 watt table saw with no problems at all.

Have had no problems with either but they do come with a 3 year guarantee.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2019 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by markie markie wrote:

I would highly recommend this one. I bought my first one 2 years ago and very quickly bought a second. The first is used in my workshop to cut all my grills and has been in regular use since purchase.

I use the second in a large garden shed which doubles as a woodwork shop. Both are powered on 12v batteries with solar panels for charging. This one runs a Bosch 1800 watt table saw with no problems at all.

Have had no problems with either but they do come with a 3 year guarantee.

Can't quite put my finger on it, but comparing yours above with this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/GIANDEL-Inverter-converter-controller-outlets/dp/B07G2VL2WP
makes yours look  the better buy.  LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

If your vaccinations were mandatory and nobody in your class had measles,
then you know that you're not a Millenial kid.
</f
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2019 at 1:58pm
Cheers Markie, Do I really need to spend the money on a pure sine then? (the one you have is a modified sine). 2kw for £150 seems pretty good.

markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2019 at 2:15pm
I've done quite a lot of audio testing in the woodwork shop with no problems. Also there is an audio system in both locations that are on whenever I'm in there working. Again no problems.

In fact when I was gigging I did several months busking around Europe with a small system powered via an inverter (modified sine wave) and 12v battery. Over the years I have used several modified sine inverters with audio equipment and never had any issues.

What kind of amps are you using? It might be that digital amps may be a bit more prone to issues with a modified sine wave? Perhaps someone with better understanding will comment.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2019 at 3:05pm
I´ve got a modified sine inverter for my place and not really had any issues with sound quality, etc.

The worse I´ve had is one amp with loose transformer plates vibrate a bit more than it would have with a pure supply. Supposedly, it´s motors that will object to the modified sine, but again, run my fridge, tools etc. without any issues.

There are definitely different levels of modified sine, so maybe the cheaper ones, with less 'steps' will be worse.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2019 at 3:48pm
Cheers, The amps I'm most likely to use on it are the bottom of the pile ones, I've got a Matamp Quasar 500 and an old Fostex Lab Series 300 which will cover it and they aren't that bad sounding. Much rather loose one of them than one of my Turners.

Cheers folks
 Post Reply Post Reply