Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

4 point system. Quad set up How does it work?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadrack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 point system. Quad set up How does it work?
    Posted: 23 June 2019 at 11:28pm
Can someone point in the right direction to info on setting up a 4 point system. Not sure the proper name for it. I have been approached by someone who wants a surround sound system of F121s & res 4s. (stereo stack at the front, and two stacks behind at the back.) he is wanting to keep the sound contained as it is in a small town

Thanks 

Edited by Shadrack - 24 June 2019 at 7:03am
KDW32 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KDW32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2019 at 2:41am
Originally posted by Shadrack Shadrack wrote:

Can someone point in the right direction to infromation on setting up a 4 point system. Not sure the proper name for it. I have been approached by someone who wants a surround sound system of F121s & res 4s. (stereo stack at the front, and two stacks behind at the back.) he wanting to keep the sound conatianed as it is in a small town

Thanks 

Quad. Look at having the the opposing bins out of phase with with each other. To keep it contained better look at having something like bales of hay behind each stack. 
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2019 at 8:18am
Originally posted by KDW32 KDW32 wrote:

Originally posted by Shadrack Shadrack wrote:

Can someone point in the right direction to infromation on setting up a 4 point system. Not sure the proper name for it. I have been approached by someone who wants a surround sound system of F121s & res 4s. (stereo stack at the front, and two stacks behind at the back.) he wanting to keep the sound conatianed as it is in a small town

Thanks 

Quad. Look at having the the opposing bins out of phase with with each other. To keep it contained better look at having some thing like bales of hay behind each stack. 

Don’t do this. The phase thing. Hay bales is good. Heston barrier better.

If you want do four point or four corner - not the same, in my eyes - then experiment. There are no rules and it depends on the system, the room, the content. None of the good four corner rigs - and there are literally a handful - were anywhere close to right first time. Also it isn’t ‘surround sound’ unless the content is delivered that way.

Likewise, if you four point the bass, you’re not necessarily going to have less noise off site. It can be way more. As ever, it depends on the boxes, the spacing, and the location. Oh, and the weather.

My main guidance is don’t be afraid to turn thing down, or even off, or high pass them more than you would think. Or low pass.

Edited by toastyghost - 24 June 2019 at 8:21am
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2019 at 9:02am
whats a heston barrier? 

Googled it but came up empty handed. 

Edited by JonB67 - 24 June 2019 at 9:05am
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2019 at 9:10am
Heston bale is a size of hay or straw bale, price of which should drop rapidly as soon as there is a week or two of dry weather.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2019 at 12:25pm
you may find that your customer is requesting this based on some very wrong assumptions about how sound is contained. whether you deliver what they request, or attempt to advise them and deliver a different solution, is a difficult decision.
Shadrack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadrack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2019 at 10:20am
Thank you for you replies.

Im going to have to have a day sound checking and see what i can do. Ive never heard it sound good apart from at boomtown 3/4 years ago on the prohect storm stage in the woods.

Case of having a go, i think he has heard something like it abroad and wants the same but not as easy as that. 
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2019 at 1:52pm
it's been discussed a bit on here before if you search - think it was in a thread about boomtown a two or three years ago.

I haven't done this in practice (though I've experienced some really awful implementations). but from reading online it seems that keeping the circle smaller than 30m diameter helps get a good sound. but it's absolutely useless for reducing sound pollution. for that you want highly directional and steerable arrays, and intelligent use of geography and barriers.

PP
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2019 at 7:14pm
That all depends on the system and the design and implementation. If you’re ground stacking then you’re up against the huge disparity in forward aspect ratio and level and tonality front to back.

It can help reduce spill outside the arena but you’re going to have to run the entire rig quieter to compensate for the additional summation ( and destruction)

More boxes does not equal better or even louder. We have a client who insists on a rear stack setup despite me simulating and measuring a reduction in on site level in the dance floor and more noise offsite. Client is paying though...

Edited by toastyghost - 25 June 2019 at 7:15pm
 Post Reply Post Reply