Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aperiodical loaded subwoofer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aperiodical loaded subwoofer
    Posted: 04 July 2019 at 5:04pm
Can anybody explain to me why one would choose to build i aperiodical loaded subwoofer, instead of a traditional bassreflex loaded. 

I am looking into Ohm subwoofers atm, and they seems to be using this type of design for the Cora-S and Eris subwoofers.
To me they just look like regular BR enclosures.

I have allready been reading some stuff on different sites, but i didnt get much wiser Wacko

Cheers.. 
Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2019 at 5:15pm
Maybe they are just using those terms to make it look something special.. many manufacturers does that.  To me, those seems to be typical bass reflex stuff too. 

Edited by Tonskulus - 04 July 2019 at 5:16pm
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2019 at 5:29pm
Aperiodic generally refers to a type of port
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2019 at 5:40pm
There's several threads on diyaudio about that technique, puts it somewhere between a closed box and reflex flattening the impedance peak, Fulcrum use a variation for their passive cardioid boxes. 
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2019 at 7:27pm
Okay so not some kind of magic stuff inside then :) 

I have been reading quite alot on diyaudio, but every thread ends up in alot of mumbo-jumbo i really dont understand much of. 
And No one seems to have a 100% clear definition of what it is..

Well, some more reading might do me good i guess :) 

djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2019 at 8:48pm
Don’t know if you’ve seen this...

Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
cooky1257 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cooky1257 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2019 at 4:29pm
Basically its a leaky sealed enclosure

AndyWave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyWave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2019 at 9:27am
In a pa-loudspeaker there's more to this. One can achieve cardioid-like directivity pattern by placing the aperiodic reflex ports to the back-side corner of said enclosure. Look for Fulcrum Acoustics (Mr Dave Gunness may ring a bell?) and associated patent applications. All this has been trough in this very forum before

torturing electrons since ......
 Post Reply Post Reply