Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thunderbolt vs USB future predictions.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thunderbolt vs USB future predictions.
    Posted: 06 July 2019 at 11:47am
What do you think?
Will Thunderbolt became more popuar or will it extinct with time like Firewire? And just became totally replaced with usb?

Edited by gen0me - 06 July 2019 at 11:57am
I appreciate every like :)) https//www.facebook.com/genomesoundsystems
Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/gen-ome/
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2019 at 11:58am
USB can’t do what TB does and as such TB is part of the newer USB 3 specs and presents itself over a USB C port, so I don’t really understand the question
James Tengo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2019 at 12:06pm
Thunderbolt is already a legacy connector. Usb-c looks like it’s got enough market penetration to stick around for a while.
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2019 at 12:26pm

Edited by gen0me - 06 July 2019 at 12:43pm
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2019 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by James Tengo James Tengo wrote:

Thunderbolt is already a legacy connector. Usb-c looks like it’s got enough market penetration to stick around for a while.

Thunderbolt never had a connector of its own, it’s a chipset. Apple rebadged the Mini DisplayPort connector until something better came along. USB C is a mess though, it’s convenient but not all ports are equal, and their versioning system is flat out idiotic.

But yeah, TB3 is the backbone for ‘proper’ USB C. The kind that does full bandwidth data transfers untethered from CPU load, and can drive multiple 5K monitors from a single cable whilst also transmitting other data like network.
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2019 at 12:40pm
USB 4.0 is going to combine the two, it will also be backwards compatible with thunderbolt 3, usb 3.0 etc.

I think intel plans to hold on to the thunderbolt branding but as thunderbolt exists today, it will just become part of the usb standard. 

Edited by citizensc - 06 July 2019 at 12:40pm
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2019 at 12:43pm
But USB - C cant be compatible with USB 3.1, 3.0, 2.0. It has different ports. So will Usb-c became equivalent to Thunderbolt 3 + all previous USB standards + hdmi and so? And instead different ports there will be different cables?
As you are saying it seems plain stupid.

Edited by gen0me - 06 July 2019 at 12:45pm
Boxes-R-Blue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxes-R-Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2019 at 1:31am
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

USB can’t do what TB does and as such TB is part of the newer USB 3 specs and presents itself over a USB C port, so I don’t really understand the question

Thunderbolt is NOTHING to do with USB-C

USB-C is a really bad, really crap connector that Apple punch Display and thunderbolt thru, neither of those are in the USB-c spec.

I run a HP Z640 at home (like 2 Mac dustbins in a box with newer faster chips and a GPU that flattens any Mac) if I wnat thunderbolt I buy the HBA and have to loop a displayport line through it to get a "mini-displayport/Thunderbolt" connection.

I have Thunderbolt on my MBPS (which run W10) and TBH I can move data quicker over FibreChannel on my HP than I can on my MBPs using a FC > ThunderBolt adapter. In real terms thunder bolt never existed, mac tried and failed, kit coast a mint, isn't that good and now even Apple have binned the "USB-C Dustbin) and teh new (ok old, obsolete CPU) Mac Pro will have proper PCI-e slot for quick things and USB-c for apple fan-boy junk. 

It will be interesting to see if this crapper can do 8K video ingest or replay but aside..

to the OP USB 3.0 is a real thing with real support, thunderbolt x is an expensive thing with relatively little peripheral support and and a short life ahead.

Also consider the "MagSafe" charge cock-up on MBPs where Apple took what was by many miles teh best laptop power connector on the planet and replaced it with a poverty pooper.

Buy USB 3.0 at this point! (and Dongles galour if you use Apple!)

The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2019 at 2:01am
Sorry, don’t you mean USB 3.2? Which apparently will absorb the absolute mess of before but OH WAIT...

USB 3.2 Gen 2x2

ThunderBolt was Intel’s baby by the way
Boxes-R-Blue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxes-R-Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2019 at 2:54am
Yep I know TB is Intel, point is USB-c is still crap, fragile connector and massive CPU overhead compared to TB/FW or for just storage FC just OWNS video editing..

Point is USB-c is just USB 3.x is crapper connection and Apple have taken steps to make it about as compliant as SCART if you remember that gem of "it might or it might not..."

Post Reply Post Reply