Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2x12" mid cabinet, bridged or mono ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thanosvas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2x12" mid cabinet, bridged or mono ?
    Posted: 06 July 2019 at 3:17pm
Hello everyone!

I am about to build a 2x12" Mid cabinet for a reggae sound system. loaded with 8ohm drivers
which I will wire them parallel in order to get a 4Ohm amplifier in bridge mono mode.

However I recently heard that mid cabinets should be played at 8ohm because they sound
a bit brighter. Is that right ?
Should I drive them separately using 2 channels (8 ohm each) or it will sound 'worse' because
of the 4ohm total impedance in parallel wiring ?

Sorry if this question seems strange but I am a bit confused here. Thank you in advance ! :)

Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2019 at 10:43pm
4ohms bridged = 2ohms per channel so yeah.. it can get a bit sloppy.

Just how much power are you gonna try to cram through these poor "mids"? Unless the program material is really dynamic I don't see the drivers surviving much more than about 1kw per pair and there are lots of amps that can deliver that from a single channel at 4ohms.

Edited by Conanski - 06 July 2019 at 10:45pm
thanosvas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thanosvas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2019 at 10:03am
Specifically I am thinking to wire parallel 2x Fane Sovereign 12-300 and drive them with
a Crown XLS 1002 amp in bridged mono (4Ohm). So I guess something like 600 watt RMS to 800-900
maximum power.
Is it going to work like this or I am going to burn the amp?? :/

Edited by thanosvas - 07 July 2019 at 10:11am
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2019 at 1:07pm
Just looked up the 1002 spec, its 215w @ 8ohms. 

Thats a bit low for what you want to do with it, 

In bridge mode at 4 ohms, each half of the amp is working at 2 ohms load, this is hard on the amp and can sound a bit loose.

Truth is the amp is too small to comfortably do what you want it to do. Best to find a bigger amp capable of running one of these per channel at 4ohms. 

If you already have the amp try wiring it a speaker per driver and test it. If you need more power reconfigure to use bridge and start saving!
Chris Grimshaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Grimshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2019 at 4:01pm
If a pair of drivers are in a box together, I'd wire them in parallel for a 4ohm load. Use the other side of an amplifier to do something else. Maybe DJ monitors, or just as a backup.

It isn't good practice to set up your rig with 2ohm on any amp channel (4ohm bridge counts as 2ohm on 2 channels), because it gives you nowhere to go if an amp goes down.

There are some amps that will drive 2ohm, but I can't think of any that would actually be comfortable.
By comfortable, I mean happily producing 2x the current (and therefore power) of 4ohm/ch. The Crown MA5002VZ, which is really well regarded for low-impedance use, goes from 2KW/ch into 4ohm to 2.5KW/ch into 2ohm. Hardly a worthwhile increase in power, and it indicates that the power supply is struggling.
Even a Void Inf8 won't manage a 100ms burst that's double the 4ohm continuous rating.

I'm not out to slate these amplifiers. They're good amps. It's just that 2ohm/ch is a really difficult thing to do.

Chris
Quality sound from Sheffield
www.grimshawaudio.com
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2019 at 8:00pm
That amp is too small for your mids but it's just about the perfect size for compression drivers.
thanosvas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thanosvas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2019 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by Chris Grimshaw Chris Grimshaw wrote:

If a pair of drivers are in a box together, I'd wire them in parallel for a 4ohm load. Use the other side of an amplifier to do something else. Maybe DJ monitors, or just as a backup.

I totally get it now ! I will look for a bigger amp and avoid using bridged mode. I was totally
confused before about this. Thanks for all the answers guys, it was really helpful :) Bless !
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2019 at 10:42am
If it is for mids though, say above 150-200 hz, the a p should be fine with 4 ohm bridge? Much less energy needed in the mid band to go loud, and the current draw should be less than doing sub and bass i would have thought. Also bridge mode would give twice the peak voltage..... 

Why not try? I dont see any catastrophic danger
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2019 at 2:57pm
Why would you want to run 1khz in mono?
I appreciate every like :)) https//www.facebook.com/genomesoundsystems
Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/gen-ome/
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2019 at 3:00pm
Gen0me, you missed the bit that mentioned "Reggae sound system"......EmbarrassedWinkSmile
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2019 at 3:13pm
Cry

Hope it was changed into something with smarter dispersionEmbarrassed

Edited by gen0me - 08 July 2019 at 3:30pm
I appreciate every like :)) https//www.facebook.com/genomesoundsystems
Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/gen-ome/
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2019 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by bob4 bob4 wrote:

If it is for mids though, say above 150-200 hz, the a p should be fine with 4 ohm bridge? Much less energy needed in the mid band to go loud, and the current draw should be less than doing sub and bass i would have thought. Also bridge mode would give twice the peak voltage..... 

Why not try? I dont see any catastrophic danger

This!

If that amp has any kind of 2ohm power spec, it means it should be able to handle 4ohm bridge with mid frequency signal as the RMS power and crest factor are going to be quite kind to the amp. I wouldn't worry about some possible sound quality loss, I think in application like this it will be mostly reaaally academic.
 Post Reply Post Reply