Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

sm350

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sm350
    Posted: 19 July 2019 at 3:02pm
Nothing special, just a laptop DJ console that came in for repair

Kevin

North Staffordshire

BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2019 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by kedwardsleisure kedwardsleisure wrote:

Nothing special, just a laptop DJ console that came in for repair

Don't understand these DJs nowadays that only run the output from their computer to a single channel - on a four-channel mixer.

How do they cope with mixing different levels, or do they just not mix ??

12 years back I was plugging the USB port into an external Sound Blaster and running that into my mixer, until I got my first Pioneer DJM 5000 that does it all for me.
If your vaccinations were mandatory and nobody in your class had measles,
then you know that you're not a Millenial kid.
</f
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2019 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by BJtheDJ BJtheDJ wrote:

Don't understand these DJs nowadays that only run the output from their computer to a single channel - on a four-channel mixer.

How do they cope with mixing different levels, or do they just not mix ??

From experience of baby sitting PA systems 'DJs' these days don't actually know how to use a mixer, I've had more than one 'DJ' set their gains at 12 o'clock and leave them at that position for their entire set which means I have to maintain the levels for them at the FOH mixer riding the faders all night (I suppose they've got to have their moneys worth out of me somehow.....). 

P.S. I still use an old SM450, I've used plenty of more modern mixers but kept going back to the old Citronic as I found it just a nicer thing to use, and it sounds superb. Smile

kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2019 at 2:06pm
this one is nice and clean sounding, no doubt 'cos there's not alot in the signal path, either NE5532 or TL072, I can't remember already.

The full-time DJ using this is very experienced and comes from the old-school era, so I suppose he doesn't feel the need for fancy confectionery to provide the night's entertainment.

I often think of this sort of equipment when I hear venues say their DJ has refused to work that night because they "will only agree to DJ with Nexus-level Pioneers'.

Kevin

North Staffordshire

njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2019 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by kedwardsleisure kedwardsleisure wrote:

I often think of this sort of equipment when I hear venues say their DJ has refused to work that night because they "will only agree to DJ with Nexus-level Pioneers'.

I've had this on more than one occasion, I like to remind them of when I had to mix on belt drive turntables with dodgy carts and cd players that didn't even have jog wheels that wouldn't read copied discs and you were extremely privileged if you had a monitor speaker, usually you had to mix through the headphones (when I were a lad, etc!).....LOL
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2019 at 3:34pm
My first gig, I turned up to find my equipment consisted of a pile of 5 cd's, a single home cd player, a mixer and a microphone. When I mentioned this to the guy I was dj-ing with, his response was "I knew you'd cope" and I did!

I DJ'd for years with a pair of Technics home cd players, until I got a set of Numark twin-CD players. I don't get how people go "I can't dj unless I'm using x, y or z equipment". Gear doesn't make you a DJ.

When I had my Formula Sound FSM a colleague told me that my mixer was too old school - I pointed out that it did exactly the same as the mixer section on his Serato controller: allowed me to take 1 or more sources, adjust the level and output it to an amp.
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2019 at 8:43pm
Don't know you were born LOLLOLLOL

60s youth club in Ealing, Garrard SP1 record player from the local council, Grampian amp speakers and mic. 

Put the needle on the record and talk til the music starts, when the music finishes talk while changing records with the other hand.

Then we got a second Garrard from the council so changing records was a helluvalot easier, leave the turntable running - and a lot less talking.

It was a revelation to me when I went to the Electric Garden in Covent Garden (after going to the 14-hour Technicolour Dream at Alexander Palace; that's me swinging on the scaffolding the next morning while the Markeys 'Last Night' plays) and chatted to Jeff Dexter DJingthat night, when he showed me how to cue records to the start.   Damn!!! I thought that radio DJs just talked until the record started (like I did), a really true revelation to me.

Jeff also showed me how (when his headphones stopped working) you could plug a mic (Shure Unidyne III) into the headphone output of the mixer and cue like that.

Happy ignorant innocent days.  Then I started wearing a bell and tries acid instead of dexies.

Edited by BJtheDJ - 29 July 2019 at 8:45pm
If your vaccinations were mandatory and nobody in your class had measles,
then you know that you're not a Millenial kid.
</f
 Post Reply Post Reply