Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12 inch scoops, measured

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12 inch scoops, measured
    Posted: 14 August 2019 at 12:42pm
Just got 2 x 12" scoops (empty). There has been some discussion about these, but I'm trying to take some mesurements out of these using different drivers.

First of all, these are very sensitive boxes for upper bass. Seriously, chest thumping mid bass even using very low power amps!  
Yes, there is no sub bass but still I'm impressed about the noise these produces even tho there are some bad things. First of all, final curve is made out of single 4mm ply (it does resonate and makes some nasty harmonics), need to make it stiffer or fill the empty space with foam. Rest of the enclosure is well made.

I took some measurements using Dayton imm6 + cell phone (single enclosure). Distance 2 meters.

JBL 2206H:

Acousto pro sh-1250 car subwoofer, high Qts and low BL, no where near optimal scoop driver.. but it works very well!! Actually better than JBL which is odd (however JBL can withstand more power):
'

Notice: JBL = 8ohms, AP = 4ohms 

Enclosure itself:

Soon i'm going to make more measurements using rew-software and both scoops together etc..

Edited by Tonskulus - 14 August 2019 at 12:53pm
Ras Loud View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ras Loud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2019 at 3:11am
Originally posted by Tonskulus Tonskulus wrote:

First of all, final curve is made out of single 4mm ply (it does resonate and makes some nasty harmonics), need to make it stiffer or fill the empty space with foam. Rest of the enclosure is well made.

This does not have to do with 12" scoops, but lately I was wondering about the necessity of filling empty space under the curves in scoops and I could not find much about it. 

Does it make any difference to fill the space in a well built 18" scoop?

Some details about the scoops I am concerned about: they are properly made from birch and with a curve that consists of two layers bending ply that glued to each other and very stiff, together almost 18 mm. I built them with four wheels, so there is no slope/triangle shaped space under the curve like people often do when they use only two wheels. That makes the inner space under the curve bigger. There are also four half moon shaped braces under every scoops' curve which make the whole thing quite stable. I never recognized any resonating sound that would be different from other scoops, but I have also never heard the same scoops with the space filled up.

Edited by Ras Loud - 15 August 2019 at 3:12am
Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2019 at 6:13am
I also wonder if it makes any difference to use just single 45deg piece of straight plywood instead of curved ply. 

Try "kocking" that bent curve, if you hear any echo or resonance it might be good to fill that space with foam.  Even if the resonance is out of speakers passband, it might add some harmonics. 

studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2019 at 4:28pm
Using curves in a horn subwoofer reduces distortion - if you put a smooth curve in every fold, you will get a very low-distortion sub. It doesn't really make any difference to the 1-watt measured frequency response, but will sound nicer at full power.
However, I would expect that curving the folds nearer the throat make more difference than that final exit fold. So you would not notice much difference between a curved scoop and a straight panel.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
Spanners5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spanners5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2019 at 11:06pm
but ...... if the curved bit was straight could you still call it a scoop? :) 
valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2019 at 12:33am
in all seriousness, yes I think expanding foam will make a difference. That's the 12' version of the eminence design innit?
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2019 at 5:19am
A Thomas Danley anecdote is how he build a large bass horn with completely smoothed curves and measured it. It didn't change a thing in the bass range, except that performance was lowered because the curves effectively subtracted usable volume from the bass horn.
Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2019 at 5:59am
These are pretty close to eminence design but not quite 100%.  
Anyway, not my cup of tea however only two different drivers tested. 
Honky, horrible midbass only.. well maybe I'll try to make some tweaks but I think there is not much to do to make these sound good?

paulus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2019 at 11:02am
Does it make any difference to fill the space in a well built 18" scoop massive difference done many a test and shocked people with the difference  
TRENDSETTER SOUND SYSTEM
valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2019 at 2:05pm
YYeah, it's not all  about fundamental frequencies. Filling the void removes any resonance + dampens the scoop panel. Can only be a good thing...
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
dj jammin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2019 at 2:08pm
depends how you constructed the curved panel.. if its solid, its solid!

Reverence Sound system

studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2019 at 2:24pm
Try a peaking highpass filter? If you have any excursion to spare of course. I've been working on a super lightweight mobile 12" RLH, and with the right filter it *does* bass. Not sub, but plenty of bass. 
Mine turns over at 50Hz, with about a +6dB peak there. It's 3rd order, made by combining a buffered 1st order RC highpass in series with a 2nd order Sallen-Key, with the S-K feedback resistor sized to give the required peaking characteristic. 
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
 Post Reply Post Reply