Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - online limiter calculators & LMS input sensitivit
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

online limiter calculators & LMS input sensitivit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabguy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: online limiter calculators & LMS input sensitivit
    Posted: 16 September 2019 at 12:20pm

hi all! 

this probably sounds like a really dumb question but here goes. 

im setting limiters for 2 x 1000 watt drivers on my lms at 4 ohm.

the calculator equates to 9.4dbu for this

the lms has a maximum input level of +20dbu

am i right in saying this inverts to -20dbu and so the limiter threshold setting would be -20+9.4 = -10.6dbu? or would i put 9.4dbu into the limiter threshold on the lms? 

only ask as have heard contrasting things and with levels right up on amp and mixer -10.6dbu threshold limit seems overly quiet when i know the bins can comfortably put out alot more. 

Edited by cabguy21 - 16 September 2019 at 12:22pm
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2019 at 1:32pm
Not quite: Your LMS can accept up to +20dBu input (is its max output spec the same? If not, use the output spec rather than input.), but your amp only needs +9.4dBu to reach the level you want, so you'd limit the LMS at -10.6dB relative to it's maximum output (ie +9.4dBu), not -10.6dBu.
cabguy21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabguy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2019 at 1:45pm
Yes sorry,  the output maximum is the same +20dbu. 

Ah okay that makes sense so the limit threshold on the lms would just be the calculated 9.4dbu? Rather then having to subtract or add this to any other numbers to get the threshold number for the lms? 

DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2019 at 3:38pm
Yup, assuming the limiter calculator you used hasn't done anything weird, it's just the straight 9.4dBu you use as your limiter threshold.
cabguy21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabguy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2019 at 4:19pm
thanks, i was massively over complicating it in my head!
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2019 at 4:39pm
Bear in mind most limiter calculators are just doing an equation, they are not taking into account the music content or the way you run the rig.

It also depends if your DSP's limiter is peak, RMS, or a combination of both.

If you're playing heavy music, not live stuff with dynamics, you may need to reduce that value considerably to avoid overheating your coils.
cabguy21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabguy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2019 at 4:53pm
Thanks Toasty I will keep that in mind. I had and always would set them a good 3 or so dbu lower then the calculated threshold. To be honest when I set the limiter 3dbu higher over what I thought was the limit point so -7.6dbu that was more then enough so it's nice to that figure is well within theoretical limit point of 9.4dbu

toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2019 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by cabguy21 cabguy21 wrote:

Thanks Toasty I will keep that in mind. I had and always would set them a good 3 or so dbu lower then the calculated threshold. To be honest when I set the limiter 3dbu higher over what I thought was the limit point so -7.6dbu that was more then enough so it's nice to that figure is well within theoretical limit point of 9.4dbu

Cool, but also be careful of slamming into limiters all night. That increases the average power and you’ll reach thermal compression more quickly. Set them at say 6dBU and keep an eye on it and you should be good for almost anything. Need more output? Bring more boxes.
 Post Reply Post Reply