Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mixing drivers in bins

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GYRO Soundsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mixing drivers in bins
    Posted: 21 September 2019 at 1:14am

Hi,

I have a soundclash tomorrow with the rig and need some help...

In my persuit  to get the maximum amount out of the rig I have with 8 hogs as sub, I have bought four void v18 1200's to load into four of the hogs (bit of an experiment). I have first tested them today and they did sound better stood next to a v18 1000 loaded hog so I'm thinking they will give the rig a bit more grunt..

The question I had was whether combining the two drivers into one stack of 8 hogs (4x 1200's and 4 x 1000's) will cause any issues? will the drivers be fighting against each other? if so I will probably revert back to 8 x v18 1000's tomorrow the gig!!

Any info appreciated. Struggled to find anything on this.. I spose its not best practice anyway...

Cheers,

Joe.

Edited by GYRO Soundsystem - 21 September 2019 at 1:16am
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2019 at 8:09am
Short answer - yes. They will have different magnitude response and group delay. It might be close, it might not be.

The only way to know is to measure the box types side by side, preferably outdoors, before you get to the venue. You can use REW or ARTA trial to do this for free, and any mic and sound card will be fine as you’re only looking for relative differences.

One cabinet will likely need slightly different HPF/LPF, EQ and/or delay to match phase for full summation. It might not be possible. You might only get the same effect as four scoops if you can only get the phase slopes to be 60-90 degrees out through passband.
GYRO Soundsystem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GYRO Soundsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2019 at 9:34pm
Thanks for the reply. I gave it a go on the day in the morning and it sounded strange. Like you said, it was kind of the sum effect of 4 drivers. I eneded up having to take them out and quickly put the V1000's back in. I'm going to do some tests with the V 1200's againts the 1000's with a mic and the smart softwear at some point. I'll share results!

Joe. 
 Post Reply Post Reply